1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, they suck. They have sucked since day one. They have sucked precisely BECAUSE there was no backup plan for one of the oldest and softest teams in baseball. Every team in baseball has its plan derailed by injuries. The good ones have a Ben Zobrist on reserve, or load up at Triple-A with Quad-A guys who can do a passable impersonation of a big leaguer for a few weeks.

The Mets have the worst team in the International League and no depth at the big league level. This is not a matter of bad luck. This is by design, or lack thereof. This is a matter of horseshit planning by an organization that stinks from the very top to the very bottom and everywhere in between.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A more simple description of the Mets, dickhead:

FUCKING PATHETIC!

And it is an absolute joke that 4 Mets (including "injured" Carlos Beltran) made the All-Star team.
    David fucking Wright has twice as many strikeouts (84) as RBI (42) and a whopping 5 home runs. He should be embarrassed to even show up in St. Louis.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Welcome, my friend.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The good news is I was out all day yesterday and today and did not see a single pitch of the debacle in Philly.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure if their availability to pitch will line up, but I'd love to see the All-Star game starters as Lincecum and Greinke.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

There is no possible back up plan for three of your top four hitters, two of your starting pitchers and your set up man all going down for extended periods AT THE SAME TIME. No team could withstand equivalent losses without suffering greatly. This is not a case of having a Ben Zobrist to fill in for a few weeks. This is re-making your entire team. Can you not understand that? Whatever systemic problems the Mets may have, whatever Omar's flaws or Manuel's flaws, are simply not the point. The Mets' problems right now are mostly medical.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Joe. The Mets problems are an organization devoid of talent.

They had NO ONE to bring up to replace Delgado or Reyes. NO ONE in the system capable of playing first base or shortstop on the major-leaguie level.
    They had NO ONE to trade to get a guy like Mark DeRosa, who could have helped, or even a lesser player like Eric Hinske or Jerry Hairston
    They had NO ONE capable of being an everyday left-fielder when the season began and are in even worse shape now becuase they have NO ONE capable of playing center in Beltran's absence..
    They had NO ONE to be a legit fifth starter when the season began and now have NO ONE to be a third starter behind Santana and Pelfrey.

Keep believing whatever you want to believe. This team is toast ... burnt toast at that.

8. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Wow. That is good company.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You might be right. He would have had another night loss back in May when I was at Kaufmann Stadium had Kerry Wood not unfurled his cock and peed the pee of someone who went four exits too far on the interstate after drinking a 64-ounce Gatorade all over his bed.

As I recall, the moon was full that night too.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Greinke's on pace to miss the four-game series against the Sox in Boston, so he'll have plenty of rest for the following Tuesday. And didn't Lincecum go Friday? So that would mean Wednesday or Thursday which means...boom, plenty of rest for the following Tuesday as well.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So bingo on both counts. But what about Halladay?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Halladay goes Thursday as well.
    I'd say he gets the start. He is, after all, the best pitcher in baseball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.