1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmm that's good sarcasm!!!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No sarcasm whatsoever.
    Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe in terms of body of work among guys in or very close to their primes, but he's nowhere near the best pitcher in the game this year. Give me Greinke and Lincecum over him, absolutely.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I repeat, Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball.

Greinke and Lincecum are having better seasons.
    But if there is one pitcher in baseball I want on the mound in the biggest game of the year, it's Roy Halladay.

No problem with Greinke starting the meaningless All-Star Game. Lincecum should be the NL starter.
    But Roy Halladay is still the best pitcher in baseball.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't argue with any of that...for once!!! :D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every now and then, you get something right, dickhead.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The farm system is weak, no question. That's a valid criticism. Couldn't agree with you more. However, they did have the prospects to get Santana, they got a nice boost from Daniel Murphy last season, and Bobby Parnell and Nick Evans have helped at times this year. So I wouldn't go so far as to say it's devoid of talent. But again, this season has been such an outlier in terms of injuries that it would be unrealistic to expect their minor league system to have saved them. It would be great if they had a Clay Buchholz down on the farm waiting to step into the rotation. But are they supposed to have someone like that at SS, CF, 1B and in the bullpen, too? The point is, if you lose Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Putz, Perez and Maine for big chunks of time simultaneously, I don't care what your farm system is like. You are fucked.

And they did have backups for most of the guys you mentioned. They had guys who played multiple positions in Cora and Tatis, they had a good defensive OF in Jeremy Green, etc. The problem is that those guys, as well as guys like Livan and Redding on the pitching staff, have been forced to become part of the core instead of complementary players, which in turn weakens the bench. So instead of getting to this point in the season and looking for one or two deals to fill holes, they have so many that a Mark DeRosa or Eric Hinske isn't going to make an appreciable difference.

People have declared the Mets dead around this point each of the last two years, and by Sept. they were 20 games over and in first place. (Yes, I know they didn't stay there.) There's even less reason to shovel dirt on them this time, because it's not a matter of their stars underachieving, it's that they've barely played. I don't see how anyone could count them out until they know what, if anything, they'll get from their big guns in the second half.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I admire your fanboi optimism, Joe. But seriously, I have two words for you and the Mets:

They're Done!

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Mets 9
    Bucs 8 F

With all due respect, you've been known to be a little premature. Why not let things play out a little before declaring anything over?

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Scott Harriston to A's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Trade-spin-Scott-Hairston-to-the-A-s?urn=fantasy,174799

Probably meaning now that Matt Holliday is on his way out in the very near future.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hairston (cq).

Man, I can't figure out any way that trade makes sense for the Padres. He's the only consistent offensive performer on that club -- other than Adrian, of course. (Which just gives Gonzalez more of a reason to bolt soon.) And Hairston's only 29, to boot.

Surely they don't think Chase "Golden Sombrero" Headley, 7-RBI Gwynn Jr. and completely unproven Kyle Blanks is their outfield of the future, do they?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe they think this is a career year for a player who has struggled with right-handed pitching and injuries.

One rumor I read is that Sean Gallagher is the player to be named.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.