1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This Phillies-Reds game just continues to fascinate me. It's 18-1 now in the eighth, bases loaded with one out, and the Reds have an infielder named Paul Janish on the mound.
    Amazingly, Janish doesn't look bad. He throws like a pitcher, not just a guy trying to lob it over the plate.

EDIT: And maybe that 89 mph fastball is what's killing Janish. Grand slam by Werth puts them over the 20-mark (it's now 22-1).

2. The Phils have managed to put a smile on my face.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Janish looked decent for a bit earlier this season when they were getting blown out by the Brewers.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, who is pitching for the Reds tonight, my mom??

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Lou. Your Mom's calling the pitches from the stands, though, and keeps getting distracted.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can definitely tell that he's pitched before, on some level. Much better than the Swisher-esque performances most guys give in that situation, even if he did get knocked around some.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

God help the security guys who try to haul her out of there. 8)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They handled Marge Schott - they can handle your mother

9. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Great blog.

1. Melvin would have been much better served handling this in private. What possible good could come from counter-attacking like this? What was the point? Call Braun into your office and tell him to go fuck himself (which is basically what he did anyway, in a sense). Don't get into a pissing match in the press with your best player. Talk about a distraction.

2. Braun sounds like a prick and I can't imagine he's a beloved guy in that clubhouse. But dude is one of the best hitters in the league. I would imagine there are 29 other teams that would LOVE to have him in their lineup.

Hey, the Brewers are looking for pitching. Obviously. The Braves are looking for anyone that can hit the ball over a wall of any kind. Vasquez and Escobar for Braun. Make it happen, Frank Wren!!!! Make it happen!!!

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just saw the Cubs are picking up some of Freel's salary. The Orioles are still paying part of salary also. That means Freel is getting paid by TWO teams NOT to play for them. And at this point I have to think the Royals are only paying about 79 cents a week for Freel's services.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Still has a ways to go to catch Ruben Sierra. I think I remember reading that, at one point, there were eight different teams from three or four different leagues sending him a paycheck.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Melvin's right about some of that, but so is Braun. The pitching does blow a big one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.