1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What makes you say that? What if it was just a confidence thing and the kid is ready to start producing after a month of beating up on AAA pitchers?

2. mb

mb Active Member

Was it a bad call? Yes.
    Was it a worse explanation? Yes.

But don't even begin to tell me that Jeter hasn't benefitted from that same call a thousand times in his career.

Reason No. 1,234 I could never be an umpire: I'd never give him a phantom tag call again. And I might well tell him the next time he doesn't touch 2nd on a double play the runner will be safe, because ... you know ... those are the rules. And I don't remember when we changed the rules.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's what the Rangers are hoping is the case. If Rudy Jaramillo can't fix the holes in his swing, I doubt minor league coaches will have much more luck. (If they do, that's an indictment of Rudy.)

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but the circumstances are different. He will be working on his game without the pressure of the majors, which should help. Some things just can't be fixed with the spotlight on, but a little time under the radar can do wonders.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

To paraphrase the late, great Mitch Hedberg, it's kinda like pancakes. Exciting at first, but by the end, you're sick of them.

I think if you shortened it, it'd make it better. Give everybody a five-out round to get warmed up, then one 10-out round for everything. Somebody always goes nuckin futs, like Hamilton. By the end, that's all you remember anyway.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Hey Yankee Fans Get Off Your Arse

Yes, they bring Ronan Tynan out a few times a year, mostly for the big games, or when they want to psyche out the Red Sox pitcher.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Re: Hey Yankee Fans Get Off Your Arse

Alot of people left early at 7-1, but I was in the bleachers & everyone was standing.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Dear Erek Jeter:

[​IMG]

You were saying?

Love,
    Me

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

JP Ricciardi ... fire him. Pick a damn reason.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9777314/Jays/'-Halladay-all-but-gone-in-Toronto

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

From the Yahoo fantasy update for Pat Burrell:

Apparently they couldn't come up with anything else for him, he's been sucking that bad.

DH Pat Burrell has been struggling to get going this season, but his wife, Michelle, is on a roll. On Monday, Michelle opened the Soho Cycling Studio in downtown Tampa offering classes of "50 minute rides followed by intense abdominal workouts."
    (Yahoo! Sports)

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So should I play him?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not sure, but apparently you should play his wife. [/setting that one up on a tee]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.