1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for double-checking, guys. Appreciate that.

Kevin,

I'm not around baseball as much as I used to be, but, the fact is that Halladay would only leave Toronto if he was convinced he couldn't win here. This is a guy who has twice taken less than he could have received on the open market. He loves the city and the city loves him, even though the Blue Jays are far from their glory days.

The more I hear about this today, the more I'm convinced that he has not asked for a trade, but the organization has gone to him and explained that it might be time. He'll be 33 during next season, and a dollar-conscious ownership is certainly looking at what's happened with Wells and Rios and saying, "We don't want to take our chances with an extension at that age."

Now might be the right time to do it, because he's under contract for another season, which increases his value. What's interesting is that Ricciardi is believed to be a lame duck and the president, Paul Beeston, may not be a long-term guy, either. While I refuse to believe either man wouldn't do what's best for the organization, I'm not sure that puts them in the best position to make a franchise-altering decision.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Given what you say, Elliotte, what on earth would impel franchises to do anything but make low-ball trade offers to the Jays? If Toronto doesn't WANT to re-sign him, and you know it, your incentive to bid away talent, as opposed to waiting and offering mere money, is nil.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Michael,

A team that acquires Halladay can tip the balance of power in its division and league. There will be a lot of interest. And, since it's not a straight-money deal, it increases the number of teams who can compete. The Yankees can't just outbid everyone. It's a rare occasion where a team like Tampa or the White Sox, for example, could make a pitch -- pardon the pun -- and know he gives them a greater two-year window to win, at not ridiculous money and term.

At least, that's how the Blue Jays are hoping it shakes down.

4. mb

mb Active Member

The fear of a division rival offering just a little more and getting him.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Elliotte, did ANYONE think it was a good idea to sign Wells long-term? I remember everyone thinking he was headed for his native Texas and the Rangers before the Jays locked him up. He's had one, maybe two star-quality years, and the first of those was before he signed his deal. There was ample evidence he would never emerge as a superstar, certainly not one worth $126 million. Just a bad decision from the start, it seems.

Rios at least made some sense. I don't think anyone saw his development flattening out like it has. Even so, an average of $10 mil a year is probably the going rate for a 20/20 guy.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- We all thought that the Twins would get a kings ranson for Santana. The D-Backs should have for Schilling too. For some reason, too often these GMs just don't get what they should. Except when they are dealing with Omar.

- I remember a lot of people saying how great it was that Toronto could keep Wells.Did you say this then?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But, if you're a team that's not prepared to offer Halliday big money, you are sending away talent, doubtless young cheap talent, for a rental. Now, that's not necessarily the wrong thing to do. But if you don't win after the deal, that's the sort of play that gets GMs fired.
    High risk. Maybe better to sit tight and let that division rival make the bid. Unless, of course, you think you can con the Jays into accepting talent you're not to sorry to lose.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

So how did the Twins not get a king's ransom for Johan since they WERE dealing with Omar?

9. Guy_Incognito

A year and a half is not a terrible rental. More like a lease.

10. Guy_Incognito

Either he got smarter, or they were so set to hold up the Yanks and Red Sox that he took 60 cents on the dollar & Omar was the lucky recipient. I'd guess a little bit of both. But I will admit that I didn't realize I was setting myself up like that.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, that was the one time Omar waited it out and won.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, I've always thought it was a bad signing. Have never been a Wells fan. Seems content to peak at 24 and cruise thereafter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.