1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I were the Mariner's I would scout Jeremy Guthrie tonight when he pitches against them at Safeco Field. Guthrie is from Ashland, OR and has had success pitching at Safeco (2-1 with a 2.38 ERA). He could feel comfortable there and would make a nice 5th starter for the M's. He is also cheap salary wise and probably wouldn't cost Seattle too much in terms of prospects.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why would the Os give him away cheap, is he that old? Do the Ms really have 4 SPs better than him?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Vote for Pablo for the All-Star Game.

Pablo Sandoval is the Anti-Bonds and a lifeline for the Giants franchise (along with Lincecum and Cain.) Just a joy to watch hacking up there and driving the low fastball like Manny Sanguillen.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

He was Brewers killer at Miller Park...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

He's 30 years old and categorically mediocre.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

he's built like Prince Fielder but seems surprisingly mobile around third base.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Amateur Hour umpiring crew at Miller Park tonight.

Brewers coaches Dale Sveum and Willie Randolph have been ejected arguing checked strikes in separate instances.

Home plate umpire calls Gallardo out on a checked third strike with the bases loaded and two outs ... didn't ask for help, and replays showed Gallardo clearly didn't offer. Sveum gets booted. Then with Pujols up the next inning ... asks for help on the same type of swing, and is called a ball by the first base umpire (rightfully so). Randolph ejected.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't know how that's quite possible, since it's an incredibly subjective call.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guthrie has been complete mediocrity this year (another WBC victim?), so I doubt the O's would trade him until he's doing better. But he's definitely available. He becomes arbitration eligible for the first time after this season. So whoever does trade for him will have him for a while. He's got good stuff, just not this year.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Did you see the swing? Not even close ... especially for a home plate umpire to make the call without getting help down the line.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Couple things I don't understand:
    1. When it came time to free space for Ryan Freel, the Royals jettisoned Luis Hernandez, in favor of Tony Pena Jr. and his 0.91 avg.

2. Pena pinch runs for Jose Guillen this evening, in the middle of a game the Royals were trailing by two at the time... and he wasn't even the tying run.

So naturally he gets another at bat... in the fucking 5-hole, no less, in the 8th with a runner on first... and promptly strikes out. Now he's hitting 0.89. I think Trey Hillman is retarded.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thnink that would be .089.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.