1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This...

...and this are why I love this place.

Rays need to make a 5-1 run, at minimum, to go into the All-Star break in contention for the division/wild card..

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll read this tomorrow. I'm a little too tired and emotional [privateeyereference,lookitup] to do so right now.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, BYH, had a softball game tonight.

I read David Falk's book recently and it talked about how an agent maximizes deals. Sometimes, you get a situation where players cash in because they are in the right spot at the right time, and an agent can basically hold the team hostage. That happened with Wells.

He became a free agent during a down time for the franchise. The team wasn't very good, with Halladay and nothing else. He'd just won his third Gold Glove and had a great year at the plate. The fan base really liked him and the organization was desperate to energize the fan base. We all thought he'd leave, and, evidently, the owners did too.

There was so much excitement when they got him to stay. You couldn't blame management for doing it. But Wells has really let them down, as much with attitude as performance. They're gun-shy because of it.

5. Never mind what I said about Guthrie ;)

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Elliotte,

Do you think a potential Wells situation is a cause for other teams, not only in MLB, to re-sign players to an inflated contract, in order to appease and give hope to the fanbase?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Do I not need to look at the boxscore to understand it is not going well?

8. Guthrie gave up 3 runs in the 1st

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you were JP, do you try to make whoever takes Halladay also take Wells?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Depends.

Do you want to maximise that which you can get back for a stud starting pitcher, or do you want to dump a terrible contract?

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

And they didn't hit for Pena in the 8th because Mitch Maier was unavailable after yesterday's outfield collision. They could have had Brayan Pena or Buck hit for him, but then they would have to play right field, with Bloomquist moving back to short.

Granted, given it would have been one inning of a bad fielder against a real hitter replacing Mr .091, but that was Hillman's thinking. He did have Buck on deck to hit for Pena when the game ended.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good to see that Ryan Braun's words inspired the bats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.