1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bill Hohn tends to be trigger happy with his ejection thumb.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You and me both, J&E!

That said, click on the link ... it's a very strong interview and a good read.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Service time is calculated by how many days you spend in the majors. Halladay didn't have full ML seasons in 2000 or 2001, either, and he entered 2009 with just over nine years' service.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I don't think the Phillies have enough prospects to get that done. If they land Halladay, it will milk their system, but if they package Wells too, yikes.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Damn me and my misplaced decimal points. Hell hath no fury like a decimal point scorned

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wells would make no sense for the Phillies. They have nowhere to play another outfielder once Ibanez returns.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They could flip Wells once they get him, but you're right, it makes no sense.

Edit: The Phillies could run a four-man OF and sacrifice Pedro Feliz at 3B. It would be nearly impossible for Rollins to patrol the entire side of the infield by himself, but not many balls would get through the outfield. Plus, it would be a very potent lineup. [/if there was a 1/4-blue font, then I would be using it]

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Would you insist on it if you were Riccardi? That's the question.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Guy,

The early word is that the Jays will not do it. They know that if they do trade Halladay, the return must be huge. If they make Wells a condition of it, they don't get as high a return and they know it.

Of course, that could change, but it appears unlikely.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So what'll be higher by the end of the season...Greinke's ERA or Pena's batting average?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Greinke ERA.

12. Austin Kearns - heh heh

http://www.sportsrubbish.com/2009/07/08/baseball/mlb/austin-kearns-slides-into-imaginary-15th-base-video/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.