1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

It will probably work like the Heat/Hawks game did last year when they had to replay the finish because Shaq had incorrectly been fouled out of the game, only by the time they resumed play he had been traded to Phoenix. IIRC, they just used the personnel they had at the time--so Marion for Miami and Bibby for Atlanta ended up playing I think.
    What I want to know is what if Hanrahan had been traded to Houston? They wouldn't be able to use him, would they? It would be awesome if had been traded to the Astros, got in the game and picked up the loss--having pitched for the winning team earlier. But I can't imagine there's any way that would be allowed.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since he didn't appear for Houston in Part I he could play in Part II.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is exactly why. As bad as this team is now, imagine how horrible they can be if they manage to trade Sanchez, Adam LaRoche and Jack Wilson by the end of the month.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

They're not going anywhere now though. Dealing those guys are good moves if--and that's a big IF--they manage to net some useful players in exchange. Maybe suffering the 17th straight losing season (and the 18th) is a worthy price to pay if they can make some moves towards contending by the end of Obama's first term.

5. outofplace

That's my point. I don't expect them to get fair value for any of them. Everybody knows that ownership is going to force the GM to dump Sanchez before they have to pay that $8 million in 2010, which is why I assumed that the asking price is going to be low.

I don't doubt that the new regime in the front office is better than the old one. But as long as the Nuttings are in charge, they might as well be trying to juggle with handcuffs on.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd dump Sanchez for pennies on the dollar too. He's a one-dimensional 2B who will be 32 by the end of the year. Of course, it's the Pirates' fault for GIVING him that $8 mil option for 2010, but I guess minimizing the damage is better than allowing him to collect it.

7. outofplace

He is Placido Polanco with a better glove, but without the luxury of batting between Curtis Granderson and Miguel Cabrera.

He also has to have 600 at-bats this season. They were probably assuming he would get hurt again and come up short. Given that he has been day-to-day all week with a back problem, they may be right. Of course, he had already battled injury problems before they ever got him from the Red Sox, but the Pirates have never seen an injury-prone prospect they didn't like.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Polanco with a better glove?

So Sanchez doesn't make any errors?

Polanco has one error this season and IIRC one error last season, as well as a streak of more than 100 games without one.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Sanchez has just one error this year as well ... on a dropped pop-up.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He was just trying to imagine what it's like to be a Met.

11. outofplace

There is more to defense than just error totals, but yes, Sanchez has been outstanding defensively this year.

Actually, I was being unfair to Sanchez. Now that I look, he is having a much better year offensively than Polanco even though he doesn't have the advantage of batting between Granderson and Cabrera.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd ask if the Pirates had secretly been purchased by Rachel Phelps, but Miami has a team now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.