1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Well played. Exceedingly well played.

2. doubledown68

Well, it's good to see the Royals' annual shitfest at Fenway is well underway. If they come within three runs of winning any of these four games, I'll be shocked.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Hanrahan could have played for the Astros since he'd already been in the game for the Nats. But I don't really know.

He could not have been the winner AND the loser, as the Nats broadcasters said, if he was traded to Houston and pitched for them.
    If the Nats won right away (which they did), the runner on first was not his responsibility.
    If the game extended, the Nats would have used a new pitcher and he would not have been the pitcher of record for Washington.

Nyjer Morgan, who was with Pittsburgh when the game started, scored the winning run when the Astros threw away a double play ball by Josh Bard. Who is hurt and can't run. At all. They could have walked the ball to first.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Chase Utley hits an inside the park homer for the Phils. Banged off the part of the center field wall at Citizen's Bank Park that angles out (right of the 409-foot marker) and rolled halfway to the right field line before the right fielder chased it down. Reds center fielder Willie Taveras looked like a fat kid chasing a wind-blown beach ball. Utley scored without a throw to the plate.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sanchez would be a good fit for the White Sox. He would work well in the 2 hole which would help Podsednik be even more productive and allow Ozzie to drop Alexei down in the order where he belongs. As a bonus, Chris Getz's bat would no longer be in the lineup.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Getz comes up with more big hits than the average .240 hitter, though. That being said, Sanchez would, indeed, be a good fit. But I'd be tempted to leave Ramirez No. 2 and put Sanchez down in the order to finally have someone there who can run AND make contact.

7. There will not be a second term.

8. Freddie Sanchez has 10 stolen bases in his career and has been caught stealing 7 times.

Freddie Sanchez also has a club foot.

Running is not his strong suit.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Compared to the Jim Thomes and Paul Konerkos of the world, he's Usain Bolt. The contact thing is more important, though. Too many guys on the Sox who can't put the ball in play.

10. doubledown68

Whee! Always happy to be wrong. Nice to see some piss and vinegar. And viva los Mexicutioner.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm still convinced that Joakim Soria is the best closer in baseball. He made the Red Sox his bitch tonight.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let me say up front that I absolutely understand the irony in this post because I just gave poindexter a hard time about obsessive behavior on another thread, but I had to point this out. I admit it. It is a sickness.

Nate McLouth is batting .294 with five home runs, 16 RBI, 21 runs scored and three steals in 119 at-bats since he was traded to the Braves despite missing some time with a sore hamstring. Over 595 at-bats, that would be a pace for 105 runs, 25 HR, 80 RBI and 15 steals.

I can't imagine any other contenders that would wanted to bid for his relatively cheap services if the Pirates had waited. ::)

Again, it's not that they unload veterans to try to build. The Pirates did the same thing in the late '80s and that was a huge part of their run of NL East championships from 1990-92. It's their inability to maximize the value they get in return that helps to keep that team in a perpetual cycle of losing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.