1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No one in ownership or management seems to give a fuck about the Pirates. I'm not sure why ANY of the fans do.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

From the Phillies/Reds gamer in the Philadelphia Daily News today:

That's impressive.

I don't remember the 2000 Blue Jays having guys with much power. Yet, Carlos Delgado and Tony Batista (!) led them with 41 HRs, while Brad Fullmer had 32 and Jose Cruz, Jr. had 31. Wow.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fewer and fewer do every time they pull this crap. The funny thing is I stopped caring when they lose a long time ago, but I still hate to see the all of the salary dumping. I don't think it is good for the game when you have franchises that don't try.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The annoying thing is when they try to sell it as "getting pieces to build for the future."
    Well, when you trade a guy like Nyjer Morgan for a washed-up never-was that's hitting under .200 for his third team (Lastings Milledge), it's kind of hard to spin it that way. You can almost forgive the McLouth trade as business as usual. But Morgan was the kind of guy the Pirates should be trading FOR.
    You might as well have feces night at PNC Park. Every fan through the gate gets a free steaming pile of horseshit on their seat.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with your overall premise, but not your characterization of those two deals. Both McLouth and Milledge are younger than Morgan, a 29-year-old Juan Pierre wannabe. To be fair, Milledge has only had 24 at-bats this season, so his average really doesn't mean much. His talent has been overrated and his attitude has been terrible, but he probably does have more upside than Morgan.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree they should have waited on McLouth. Could have gotten a much better haul at the end of the month. As it is, they've got a 20-year-old lefty with promise who's at least three years away, a 4A pitcher in Morton and a speedy center fielder who will have to learn a new position because they, uh, traded McLouth to make room for a speedy center fielder on the big league roster.

At some point, they need to deal for a good, AA prospect that could help in the rotation soon. But teams aren't exactly giving those guys away. They'll give away the Mortons, the 4A guys, because they're a dime a dozen.

I think Brad Lincoln will help Pittsburgh at some point, maybe even by September. But there isn't a lot of promise below that, though Moskos has pitched really well of late (can't belive I'm saying that ...)

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

True. Morgan is a nice left fielder and a sweet guy but he's already pretty close to topped out from a talent/skill standpoint. Milledge, on the other hand, could be an All-Star (or washed out of baseball altogether, of course) three years down the road.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Morgan is a left-fielder with absolutely no power who gets caught stealing way too often.

He's not the worst starting left fielder in the game, but he's not a starter on even a decent team most of the time.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's also not a left fielder anymore. The Nats are using him in center.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If he can play center field, it will be his best opportunity to keep a starting job for a while. He's never going to have enough power for a GM to be content with him playing one of the corners.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They put him in center and basically told him, "The two guys on either side of you are essentially statues. So you got everything."
    He's done a nice job so far. Gives them an element they didn't have. Well, ONE element they didn't have. There are many others.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The honeymoon is definitely over for him now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.