1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I could have sworn we had a whole section of the board dedicated to politics.

To get us back on topic, the Angels placed both Torii Hunter and Vlad Guerrero on the DL today.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090710&content_id=5802482&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

In other injury news, the Cubs put Geovany Soto on the DL with an oblique strain. He could be out for a month. Of possible note to the fantasy baseball fans around here, Jake Fox is currently the Cubs backup catcher, though the team is looking outside the organization for help.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090710&content_id=5800936&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If he can handle CF defensively, then yeah, that's a whole different story and he's got some nice value.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fucking assholes

4. RickStain

Fox won't be getting any sort of long-term playing time at catcher. They plan to have someone up from Iowa to take care of it ASAP. They don't trust him there defensively at all.

5. RickStain

Rich Harden is not a good baseball pitcher anymore. If he's hurt, shut him down.

6. outofplace

What I gathered from the story is they don't have anybody to call up that they think is worthwhile, so they will live with Fox backing up Hill until they can find some outside help.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rich Harden couldn't possibly be hurt.

8. RickStain

Not "hurt" in the sense of "can't pitch because of pain but will be good when he comes back."

I'm thinking "hurt" in the "permanently broken, will never pitch effectively again" sort of way.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That would be fitting.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Morgan was 29. I change my stance then, and say get what you can for him.
    But it seems like people have been saying the same things about Milledge that you did for three or four years now. He's been around long enough that you can close the book on him.

11. outofplace

Milledge is still only 24 years old and he has had only one full season in the majors. That was 2008 when he hit .268 with 14 home runs and 24 RBI. He finished strong, batting .318 with seven home runs and 11 steals from Aug. 1 to the end of the season. That projects out to a 20-30 season. I don't think he is ever going to be a superstar, but he is still very young and he has shown flashes of the talent that made him a big-time prospect.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus.

Piniella's sitting in the dugout at Wrigley thinking of where he'll stash Heilman's stab wound-riddled body tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.