1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No one to blame but himself. No way Heilman should have been in there for that last wild pitch.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Milledge's skills from the neck down are not enough to overcome his flaws from the neck up.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's not enough towels in the city to clean up the bleeding from that inning.

Only thing that saves this game now is a low-yield nuclear weapon. Or Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Milledge is only 24? Geez. Seems like he's been around at least five or six years (usually as trade bait, or the player the Mets didn't want to give up in a trade).
    I obviously don't know what the hell I'm talking about here. I'm just gonna go slink down in a corner.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Please list some of these terrible and shameful mental mistakes that make Lastings such a bad gamble for the Pirates. I'll wait ... for a very long time, I suspect.

6. RickStain

FYP. They bought a lot of players with backloaded contracts, and I thought they'd get another year or two before it all fell apart. But baseball's tricky. Players rarely age gracefully, and anytime you are past 30 there's a chance you could wake up and not have it anymore. It looks like a couple of those hit the Cubs at the same time.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As a Cardinal fan, Aaron Heilman is the gift that just keeps on giving.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Milledge isn't quite out of chances. Two players of similar skill, Milton Bradley and Brandon Phillips, didn't stick in the majors until age 25. Then again, Milledge isn't quite the hitter Bradley is and Phillips doesn't have the attitude/maturity issues Milledge does.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Mauer in the HR Derby.

This thread is going to get awesome ... r. Awesomer.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some talk of Ichiro being in this as well ... based on the raves of teammates for his batting-practice performances? (I'm pretty sure he's already declined)

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's not a gamble for a franchise that doesn't care about winning. And it has nothing to do with "mental mistakes." In the words of the legendary Ron White, "You can't fix stupid."

12. RickStain

Looking at the minor league numbers, I'm shocked at how good those comps are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.