1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the debate has already been settled. The Yankees are just too stubborn to admit it and put him back in the bullpen where he belongs.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To make the trade salary neutral, the Braves also sent $300,000 to the Mets. So they paid their division rival to take him off their hands. I guess it will be worth it when they throw sliders and fastballs six inches off the plate and watch him flail away with runners on base. He's the easiest scouting report in the world.

Spnited, enjoy!

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Tim, uh, McCrooner?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Adam Dunn drives in a run with a single and then scores from first on a double by Josh Bard to make it 3-0 Nats in the first.

Except Dunn missed second. So it is 2-0 Nats and Bard's double becomes a fielder's choice.

It's now 2-1. Nats have five hits, Astros none.

I hate life.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Frenchy's first AB for the Mets: bases loaded, first inning. He works the count to 2-1, taking two pitches that just miss, then muscles a bloop single to RF for two runs.

Omar's a damn genius.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

With a game involving the Cardinals, I thought "One for the Road" was an unfortunate choice.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I agree to a certain extent, but I think Frenchy's last stand will be remembered as his decision to take offseason lessons from the Rangers' hitting coach. I don't think Bobby and Pendleton appreciated that, especially when those lessons produced little to no changes to his approach or results.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Chipper Jones was quoted in the AJC a couple of weeks ago that Frenchy "has a million batting coaches, and is listening to every single one of them." When you get called out by Chipper like that, you know something is very wrong. Still has a decent glove though, which is why he had any value at all.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Frenchy wouldn't be the first struggling young guy to be listening to "a million batting coaches".

Not sure if Chipper was truly peeved -- I know Bobby Cox was -- at the Rangers situation, or if he was just expressing as an experienced veteran a little sympathy for a common hitters' ailment. I suspect it's more the latter.

That said, I doubt Cox was quite as forgiving, especially considering, as HP said, Frenchy's approach didn't improve all that much. If he was hitting well, a manager might be easily inclined to look the other way.

10. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Yeah, I don't think Chipper was upset with the Francoeur going to see Jamarillo. He was just lamenting all the "outside" advice Francoeur was getting and listening to - and how it was screwing up his approach. That's how I read it, anyway. He might have really been peeved though.

That said, I honestly don't think it matters with Francoeur. He just isn't very good. He doesn't have a quick enough bat, so he has to cheat to catch up to fastballs, which gets him off-balance for everything else.

I saw that he has two hits tonight though. And they were both prototypical Francoeur hits - one a bloop and another a weak groundball in the infield. He can literally go weeks without hitting a ball hard.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

FuckabunchaMattCapps.

Five runs, six hits in a third of an inning to blow the save in Philly. :mad:

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

and Trey Hillman gets dumped at the hands of..........

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.