1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kinda doubt it. Let's say he gets to 18 wins this year. That would give him a five-year average of 16 going back to 2005. If he kept that pace for the next 10 years, he'd still only be at 260.

Since it took Beckett four or five seasons to become a consistent winner, he'll need about three or four 20-win seasons in the next decade to make up for his "slow" start. I still think CC Sabathia --- who is the same age as Beckett but won bigger earlier in his career --- has the best chance of any active pitcher at 300. But he'll still need about 12-15 more seasons at his current pace to get there.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Beckett would definitely need to pitch into his early 40s to get there. But if he averages 15 wins a season for the next 10 years, gets to say 260 or 270 wins by the time he's 37 or 38, he might be able to limp to the finish line.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

This is all, of course, pending if he were to get injured at any point.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Bout fuckin' time.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090712&content_id=5845102&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Beckett's been bothered the last few years by numbness in his pitching hand. The chances are 50-50 he'll need Tommy John surgery in the next couple of years.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What I couldn't believe is that they went almost as long (until Firday I think) without a steal. If you know you can't generate any kind of power, I think you have to tyr something else to score a run or two.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd guess that's more of a showcase for other teams than giving Buchholz a spot in the rotation.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't remember hearing rumors that the Sox were trying to trade Buchholz. It's possible, though; especially considering how deep they are at SP.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think they can go either way with him. If he comes up and does well, they may stick with him given some of the other question marks in the rotation (Smoltz's age, Dice-K's injuries, Penny's flakiness). Or they can trade him while he's the flavor of the month.
    Not sure what they'd be looking for in a trade, though. Maybe a shortstop? They seem pretty solid except for the starting pitching.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Jed Lowrie is scheduled to return on July 18th, but I know the Sox are also shopping for a third basemen pending Mike Lowell's condition when they head to Toronto after the break.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, just throwing a few names out there (I have no idea what their contract situations are like or how married their franchises are to them)...
    Mark Teahen (KC)
    Ryan Zimmerman (Nats)
    Andy LaRoche (Pirates)
    Mark Reynolds (Arizona)
    Melvin Mora (Baltimore)

Those are the decent third basemen on teams that are pretty much out of their division races. Zimmerman is one of the few good position players the Nats have, but adding Buchholz to a young rotation that will eventually include Strasburg is tempting.
    Same with Arizona. Other than Haren, their rotation is so-so. Buchholz would be a nice addition there.
    The Pirates and Royals can always be fleeced, and the Orioles have to do something eventually, don't they?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Haven't seen any of those names thrown around other than Teahen. I've heard Garrett Atkins name being thrown around, though. Colorado has been looking for bullpen help, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.