1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm just throwing shit at the wall for the sake of discussion. I have no idea if any of those names have been mentioned :)

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ah, nice. First comes to worst, they can keep Lowell for the year then move Youkilis to third and call up Lars Anderson, the Sox's top prospect. Although I've read that they are trying him in the outfield.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anyone want Cody Ransom?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mora and Teahen could probably be had, but I doubt any of the others is available.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this in awhile. Piniella comes out to make a pitching change and instead of taking Sean Marshall out, he sends Marshall out to LF, pulls Soriano and brings in a right-hander to pitch.

Since the right-hander is Aaron Fucking Heilman he should have just let Soriano pitch.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Geez... how does the third base umpire not rule that a hit instead of a catch? Not like it was hit too deep ... he could've gotten out there and had a clear view.

7. Armchair_QB

Hell, full speed, watching on TV, my first thought was he trapped it.

But it fucks St. Louis so I'm ok with it.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Few things in sports irritate me more than umps not knowing the fucking strike zone. Bradley and Baker were called out in the ninth on pitches that were clearly balls. Not really that close. K zone proved it, but you didn't need K zone to see that.

I'm guessing the same crew umped the first game, too. Guess someone wanted to go home for the night.

In fairness, that Hoffpauir call to end the game was legit, and the Cubs caught a break on that Reed Johnson "catch."

Still, know the damn strike zone, blue. It's a fundamental part of your job.

9. Armchair_QB

Marvin was just in a hurry to start his three-day vacation.

And teams full of gutless fucking assholes don't deserve breaks on balls-and-strikes.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A ball that far off the plate isn't getting a break. It's a simple ball call that needs to be made.

But yes, other than Lee and a few others, that team is full of gutless fucking assholes.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Do the Pirates think highly of LaRoche? I mean, I could see why they'd be hesitant to give up a career .224 hitter who averages a home run every 60 ABs.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's a former big-time prospect and also the best player they got in the Jason Bay deal, so I doubt they are going to give him away. More likely, they will hold on until he either plays so badly he has no value left or plays well enough to price himself out of town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.