1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Didn't know (or had forgotten) that part of the equation. Thanks!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Manny Acta tells ESPNDeportes he's been fired.

Gotta feel like the guy who was booted from the Titanic before it took sail.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Didn't see any games with Yahoo or MLB today, but I've seen this problem in the past. Games stay in the same inning for a long time, then all of a sudden jump to the correct inning (sometimes even missing a whole inning).

Not sure what would be the problem, whether it's just people updating it slow, or a software problem.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good guy. Not sure he's a good manager but how do you tell given what he was given? I hope he gets another shot somewhere.

You can't go 26-61 and not expect this.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I expected it, yes. I don't, however, agree with it.

Manny being gone doesn't change the fact that the fielders can't field, the pitchers can't pitch and the hitters can't hit.

I hope he gets another job in the NL and sticks it up the Nats' ass every chance he gets. Shouldn't be too hard.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Word for word. What a shitty organization.

Of course, you can also look it at like this: he's finally free of that moribund franchise. I'm sure part of him is relieved he doesn't have to put up with so much shit now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. Hopefully, Manny is sitting back with his feet kicked up today, sipping on a big ass margarita.

The Nats have no balls whatsoever. None. It's pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Don Cherry once said "It's hard to fly like an eagle when you're mixed up with turkeys." That pretty much describes the firing of Manny Acta. Hopefully he does get another shot soon.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think Bobby Cox did it last year or this year, and may have done it several times in the same game. Extra innings, I think.

If La Russa doesn't do it by the end of next week, it'll be the upset of the century.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think Cox did it this year, but he did do it early last year with Chris Resop (RHP) and Royce Ring (LHP). But the Braves ended up losing that game 4-3. Resop put two runners on, then gave way to Ring, who struck out Adam LaRoche. Resop then came back in and allowed an RBI single to Xavier Nady.

I remember Whitey Herzog doing it a time or two with Ken Dayley and Todd Worrell. Maybe Davey Johnson did it with Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell as well.

It's an interesting strategy, but in this day of 8-man bullpens, there's really no reason to have to do it unless it's an extra-inning game or your bullpen is worn out from recent over-use.

EDIT: Just found an online article that lists all the times it had happened, through the one in 2008.

http://griddle.baseballtoaster.com/archives/979522.html

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Piniella did it because Marshall is the only lefty in the Cubs pen and he wanted to use him again that inning.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Acta will end up in Flushing next year after Manuel gets canned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.