1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I doubt that. I doubt that Pedro will have much of an impact. However, when they trade for Halladay, they'll basically seal the NL East.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thought of getting Halladay excites me. The idea of what they'd have to give up to get him scares me. As a Phillies fan, part of the reason I was so geeked about last year's title was because this team is set up to win a couple more in the next five or six years.
    I'd love to have Halladay, but I'd hate to see them break that up.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

ERRONEOUS!

Joe Mauer is not a hobo, fuckers.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Option year" were the only two words I needed to see.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anyone know exactly what Kingery said/did? The story doesn't really say ...

6. Jamie Moyer continues his ownership of the Fish and Ryan Howard becomes the fastest player (games played) to reach 200 homers. Roy who?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Smalley?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So if the Phils take three out of four this weekend and open that lead up to seven or eight games, is the NL East race pretty much done?
    I want to say yes, but can't shake the feeling the Mets have one good winning streak in them, even with as bad as they've played, and can make a push to get back in it.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I mean you have to figure that Delgado, Reyes and Beltran will be back eventually. Minaya had a press conference yesterday and stated that Reyes has shown improvement and that Delgado could be back by mid-August. Beltran hasn't started running or hitting yet, so who knows what's going to happen with him. It remains to be seen how effective any of them will be when they come back, but just having Reyes and Delgado in the lineup and back in the field will be a major improvement.

10. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Don't think the Mets are the team the Phillies would have to worry about making a charge.
    If anyone is going to make a run at the World Champs I would think it would be the Braves, who have the best starting pitching in the division. And they will be getting Hudson back in mid-August.
    And they got rid of the two worst hitters in their lineup (Francoeur and Kelly Johnson), so their offense might be a touch better as well the rest of the way.
    That said, the Phils will probably still cruise to the division.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Braves are the only team in baseball without a home-run hitter in double digits. Damn.

And yeah, what's with this Mets talk? They're in fourth place. The Marlins are more likely to make a run, if any team in the East is.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The NL East is a jumble, Buck, other than the Phils and Nats.
    The Mets are in fourth, but only a couple games out of second. The Marlins are five back, Braves six and the Mets 7 1/2. Phils play the Cubs and Cardinals next week, then head out west for a stretch. They could certainly take a tumble the next couple weeks. If any of those three teams can put together a solid stretch they might be able to close the gap in a hurry.
    Conversely, any of the three can stink it up, the Phils could keep playing well, and by the end of July it could be a 10- or 12-game lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.