1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Mets are fucking finished. Only by the grace of Moddy's Nats will they not finish last. They might lose 90 games.

Braves and Marlins will make this interesting until late September, at least.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Royals DFA Tony Pena Jr., send Maier to Omaha and activate both Gordon and Betancourt. Not really happy about the Betancourt part, but Pena's gone, so beggars can't be choosers.

Pena hit .156-.178-.192 in 288 plate appearances since the start of the 2008 season.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It should be very interesting to see what the Royals do about Mark Teahen with Alex Gordon coming back. Teahen has established himself as an everyday player, but Alex Gordon is too much talent to have him come off the bench, and Gordon has been on a tear in the minors before his call up.

Me thinks the Red Sox make due on their word and try to go after Teahen.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read the Royals plan to move Teahen to left field when Gordon returns.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

"The fastest player (games played) to reach 200 homers." = total bullshit stat.

Ryan Howard, age 29, 200 home runs.

Alex Rodriguez, age 29, 429 home runs.

Not to mention Howard's 795 strikeouts in 658 games.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not everybody can reach the majors at 18, like A-Rod did. What Howard has done is plenty impressive on its own merits (not taking away, of course, from the fact that he's such a one-dimensional player.)

6. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Howard would have been in the bigs at least a year sooner (if not two) if the Phillies hadn't had Jim Thome at the time.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

McLouth? Doesn't he have 14?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only five for the Braves (my bad if I wasn't clear). Chipper is the team leader in home runs, with nine.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He is the fastest, just not the youngest.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Because if there's one things we've learned the last two years, it's that you can always count on the Mets to come up big in September. ;D

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every one of the teams in the NL East is capable of disastrous slumps. They've all already had at least one. Remember the Phils in early June?
    Therefore, I do not expect Philadelphia to break away from the pack. With that starting pitching, they'll slump again.
    They may not get caught by the pack, however, who will probably have slumps of their own.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Garrett Jones: 6 HRs this year, 8 RBI

8 career HR, 13 RBI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.