1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, after the game, he became a 'sent down man.'

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He had a 0.90 ERA at one point and almost threw a no-hitter earlier this season in the minors.

He has nothing left to learn at that level. There has to be something else -- maturity issues, larger problems, whatever it is.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I very much doubt that it's maturity issues. When Tito called Buchholz up and told him that he'd be getting a spot start, he meant it exactly at that. It'd be a spot start. They gave him a chance last year, he blew it. I think the kid is ready, but who knows; they may end up trading him.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If the Red Sox are serious about going after Halladay, could tonight have been an audition for the Blue Jays?

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I think the Sox are better with Buchholz and their surplus of starters. The Sox, on the other hand, need to find a reliable everyday shortstop.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lowrie is supposed to come back soon if he hasn't tonight (did not watch any baseball this evening I regret to say -- but there's always tomorrow. :)

While I was out of the country a charitable soul (without my asking) taped the Home Run Derby for me -- I'll might get to that . . . oh, like never. No, I can't do that. I have to watch part of it. Just not while eating.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Loved the bit in the AP story about Theo calling the signing "a mistake" and "a lesson learned."
    That's harsh.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Every bit of it is true, though. Lugo contributed almost nothing to the organization with the signing. He couldn't hit, he can't field. I've been long-awaiting this day.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't say it wasn't true. Usually when a guy gets cut, you just don't have those types of comments from the GM. Kind of surprising, in a good way, to see a guy hammered like that.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Oh, I'm not knocking you. I was just supporting Theo's comments that you mentioned in your previous post. Sure, it's a bit harsh, but it's the 100% truth.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If it's a wild pitch or passed ball that goes into the dugout, the runner on second stops at third, since he gets one base from the time of the pitch.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Oakland A's are holding one of the poorest displays of baseball seen all year.

Just now, Chone Figgins took two bases on a throwing error into the right field foul territory -- this was an inning after he laid down a bunt and made it all the way to third on the same type of throwing error.

Matt Holliday had Juan Rivera gunned down by 5 feet on a sacrifice fly -- but catcher Landon Powell dropped the ball on the fly. Flat-out missed it.

Earlier in the game, Holliday let a Matthews Jr. single go between his legs.

Oh, and after Aybar got picked off first, Giambi plunked him in the back with the throw to allow him to take second inside. That was, mercifully, charged as a stolen base instead of an error.

Angels are up 8-1 in the 4th. Just fascinating to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.