1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Apropos of very little, but when the UZR talk started flying all around the first thing that entered my mind was ...

[​IMG]

Yeah. The Utz chips sign from Yankee Stadium. Mmmm chips!

That must be a NYC-only product. I've never seen it here in flyover country, nor have I seen it in visits to my dad in Albany, N.Y., though admittedly, it's not as if I looked that hard, or at all, for that matter.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Utz, in fact, is a Pennsylvania brand. Great chips and pretzels.

The Utz family history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utz_Quality_Foods,_Inc.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Says they're distributed from Maine to South Carolina. So much for my powers of observation.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're a (p)utz

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I definitely agree with that.

And maybe it's because it isn't used much in the AL today, but there's no way Tex comes close to Hernandez's ability to field the bunt. Frankly, no one alive could.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No one before or after handled bunts like Keith

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Mauer's raised his average to .378, up 22 points in the last few weeks. Any chance he raises it 22 more points? Ok, maybe not, but it's about the only interesting thing left in the Twins season.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Personally, I think he's going to have a tough time keeping it above .362 (the record for a catcher, set by Dickey, tied by Piazza.)

But I also don't think Ichiro will catch him.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the league is going to look at the Kinsler beanball. He got buzzed in the at-bat prior to his beaning, and he's already taken a few in the ribs this year. I think Kinsler might've hotdogged it a little rounding the bases on his homer earlier. Or Varitek might've called for it after getting owned by Andrus and Borbon stealing. But you don't go for the head.

I expect a warning to be issued very early in today's rubber game (a game of which, BTW, the winner will be your AL wild card leader).

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nothing beats Better Made though (Slappy will back me up on this). Followed closely by Uncle Rays.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Playing the Pirates is like eating Chinese food. 30 minutes after you beat them you want to beat them again.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kettle is better than all of those. The salt and pepper chips are amazing. Best new flavor of chips (I realize Kettle isn't the only one that has the flavor) since sour cream and onion.

And with all the beanings today are we going to see a bunch of brawls tomorrow, figuring it's the last meetings between the teams this year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.