1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm pissed to the max Kettle got rid of Cheddar Beer. Those were like crack in potato chip form.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Kuroda's injury: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6122127#

And just because:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Beaning, by definition, is the head.

And I use two pitchers.

Actually, the ideal target is A Tino.... right between the shoulder blades.

Less dangerous, much more painful.

If not there, the hands, good chance to get 6 weeks on the DL going there.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Only way that other teams will NEVER do it to your team again is by being willing to hit the bean.

Let's be honest, it's helmeted area. Pretty safe.

When is the last time a major leaguer died by being hit there?

50 years?

But it will scare shitballs like Matt Cain straight.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He should have been buzzed.

A total horseshit move.

This is where Jerry and the Mets get the wimpy perception.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just remember one thing about Yankee fans enjoying Tex's work at first base.

We've spent the better part of this decade watching Giambi muddle his way around there, so just about anything is an improvement.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Considered making this its own thread and sorry if it's a d_b, but Brett Myers is having trouble getting his story straight about the eye injury that caused him to miss his rehab start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401301

Given Myers' history, I'd say the chances are pretty good he actually injured his eye by smashing it into someone's fist.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm getting pumped about baseball all over again because the Bucs and Royals have a very realistic shot to earn the first and second picks in next year's draft, which means possibly Harper and Strasburg, who I obviously hope doesn't sign with the Nats (sorry, Moddy).

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If Strasburg won't take the rumored $10 million that the Nats are offering, which would break the deal Mark Prior got when he signed, what makes you think the Pirates or Royals could afford him?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

all due respect, any first-rate left-handed first sacker -- hernandez, mattingly, etc. -- is going to have super range going to his right. duhhh. it's largely why it's a spot relatively dominated by left handers.

and why NEVER see left-handed third basemen. so, in general, a slick-fielding lefty has a distinct edge on a slick-fielding righty at first. tex is a superior fielder. tino martinez, also righty, too, was excellent, too. but they can't possibly be as good going to ther right as, say, a southpaw like carlos pena.

i don't see pena every day but from what i've seen he's certainly of gold-glove quality. but the award most often seems to go the the best-fielding player who also hits most effectively.

which is why my guess is tex will win the gold this season, even if all the new-age stat geeks argue -- perhaps correctly -- that pena is better.

personally, i don't get my undies all twisted on the gold glove issue as long as i believe the winner is a first-rate glove. i only roll my eyes when i contend a player gets it 'cause of rep or primarily because of his bat (david wright comes to mind; he's just not a very good glove man, imo). i'll leave that for folks who pay more attention to the mets than i do.
    ::) ::) ::)

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Minnesota Twins' team video from 1991.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Since you have Wil Myers, I want first dibs on Harper. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.