1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

true dat. another play a righty cannot possibly make as well as a lefty. mex was the most awesome i've ever seen fielding bunts and throwing to second or third. 8) 8) 8)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

PitchFX isn't a stat at all.

Depending on how you want to look at it, it's either brought together statheads and scouts (the nice way of putting it) or it has made scouts completely irrelevant by computerizing with extreme accuracy what they were trying to eyeball (the more confrontational way of putting it).

I was pretty deep into sabermetrics a few years ago, took a couple years off, came back and found that with PitchFX, everything was completely different. Rather than new ways to parse box scores, we were delving into true scientific study of the actual pitches.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

funny you should say this. in the wee hours this a.m., i heard a wfan update person, mia harris, refer to wright being "beamed." the host gently corrected her on the proper word being "beaned."

kids today. good thing she was called on it. laughable errors like that can make anyone lose his/her credibility in a nanosecond. not that wfan update geeks have much to begin with. maybe that's why she's on in the wee hours of a sunday morning.

yeah, i'm embarrassed to have even heard it.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

In other words, we're overthnking it again because we're basing something on what is considered "the norm" when there really is no norm.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea what that means or how it applies to pitch f/x.

6. mb

mb Active Member

I'll just assume you're being sarcastic. Because I've read enough of your stuff to know you're not that stupid.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And did much more to support the Colombian black-market economy than Tex would ever consider spending on such products.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One more hit by Jeter ties him with Aparicio for most as a shortstop.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Cool thing the Rays are doing on their telecast today: showing viewers how to keep a baseball scorecard. :) They printed a couple of poster-size scorecards for ease of TV viewing, then criticized those scorecards because they didn't have space for balls and strikes. :D Also talked about not being able to keep track of foul balls with the giant scorecards.

Tied it in with today's Waddling Duck Trivia Question ... How many different ways are there for a batter to get to first base?

(No, I didn't get the correct answer, or anywhere near all the different ways. I'll post the number in a few hours, assuming nobody gets 'em all first (the challenge is on.)

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hit, walk, error, fielder's choice, hit by pitch, catcher's interference, third-strike passed ball, defensive obstruction.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

And that would be 8.

I blanked on defensive obstruction and catcher's interference and had to be reminded of catcher's interference.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So can you name the 10 ways to be given out in cricket?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.