1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think it's more of the former, at least this time. There wasn't a rash of great college talent outside of the top three in this year's draft, so Sanchez was a safe pick. He's destroying low-A West Virginia, FWIW. He's been much, much better than anyone expected.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is tough to judge based on this year because of the question marks about the guys available to them. Sanchez wasn't just about being safe. It was about getting a guy they could pay less money to.

In 2007, the old regime passed on Matt Wieters. That was not a baseball decision. They passed because they were afraid to deal with Boras and he was going to want more money than they were willing to spend. I have a hard time believing that the decision was made by the baseball people rather than ownership.

In 2008, they drafted Alvarez and signed him. The organization made a lot of noise about how it wouldn't pass on talent due to money. They were basically saying there would not be a repeat of what happened with Wieters. That's all fine and good, but they have to continue to make choices when the opportunity to draft an elite talent presents itself. If they get a shot at Harper or Strasburg in 2010, they have to take him and they have to get him signed.

The Rays made their run in '08 because in large part because they made great use of the high draft picks they got by sucking for so long. The Pirates have to do the same. They did it once. I'm still not sure if they will do it again.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's true. If nothing else, Sanchez is seen as a near-lock to reach the majors.

When drafted, Neal Huntington said he liked Sanchez's bat but also threw out the possibility that if it didn't develop he'd be a major league backup. Not exactly what you want to hear after Dave Littlefield took Danny Moskos over Wieters and projected Bryan Bullington as a No. 3 starter the day he picked him first overall.

Good for Sanchez on proving some people wrong. Based on everything I've read/heard, he seems like a hell of a guy/teammate, too.

4. Trey Beamon

Oop, the Pirates insist that Sanchez was the top pick remaining on their draft board. Then there's this ... though I doubt you'll believe anything that comes out of Bob Nutting's mouth:

The Pirates had developed a plan, owner Bob Nutting said yesterday at Sanchez's PNC Park news conference, to sign either of the two players they rated higher than Sanchez -- San Diego State University pitcher Stephen Strasburg and University of North Carolina outfielder Dustin Ackley -- had they fallen to No. 4 overall. Alas, Washington took Strasburg, and Seattle selected Ackley.

"I asked if we were prepared to take Strasburg or Ackley, as they were the top two on our board, and there's no question we would have signed them," Nutting said. "We had that discussion, and we were prepared to do it, prepared to adjust as needed. Now, given our level of preparation, we had a sense that was not likely to happen. But we were ready if it had."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09164/977170-63.stm

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with anything you say there. The Moskos pick was a total joke. And you're right. They're on the clock now. There's little chance the Pirates will be lower than No. 2 in next year's draft. Huntington is under pressure to pick smart and spend there.

I will point out that I meant to post Sanchez is "destroying pitching at Low-A West Virginia." He's not destroying West Virginia. :)

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are right. I don't believe a word out of Bob Nutting's mouth.

The Pirates can insist all they like about Sanchez. He wasn't a top-10 talent. Even if he does work out for them, that doesn't change were he was rated going in.

7. Trey Beamon

I understand knocking the Sanchez selection at No. 4 overall, but where was all the outcry when the Orioles took Matt Hobgood with the next pick?

Apparently, Baseball America had him as only the 18th-rated right-handed pitching prospect in the draft and a possible second or third-round pick. Now that's an overdraft.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He won some national high school player of the year award, inflating his value.

Then again, this is the same team that took Billy Fucking Rowell one spot ahead of Tim Lincecum, so who knows.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Because he's a shark who will get them the most money. Doesn't mean he's good for them.

Matt Anderson also threw 100 mph at Rice, and the Tigers made him No. 1 about 10 years ago. Needless to say, that one didn't pan out.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Orioles are among the top 3 or 4 teams in terms of signing bonus money doled out.

11. Trey Beamon

Much like the Pirates. That's what I figured was happening with the Orioles.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10 runs in 1-plus inning. Oy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.