1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I still say Mauer's going to finish closer to .362 -- the record for a catcher (Dickey, Piazza) -- than .406.

And I do hope I'm wrong.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought Curly Joe was a Globetrotter?
    OK, it's like turning on Scooby Doo and seeing the one where they team up with the Globetrotters. And Carl Pavano is Scrappy Doo.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The numbers bear you out.

But he is healthy and he did miss the first month, which should help some down the stretch.

Hell, if he's got a shot at it and they're out of it, he can DH around half the time and they can give Morales some playing time.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Curly Joe was in the later years. He was the last of the people to replace to replace Curly, after Shemp and Joe Besser.

Edit: Well Curly actually replaced in the early-30s before Shemp replaced him in the late-40s. Apologies for the Stooges threadjack.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Multihit games. That's the only cure.

He could also use about a dozen more 1-2, 2 BB lines.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If he stays hot, he should get some, especially with Morneau out if that continues.

I sure wouldn't pitch to him with Brendan Harris behind him.

But I'll take a pile of 3-5s.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If Mauer keeps it up, he could be the next Bryce Harper.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I first read that, I thought it said he could be the next Brian Harper.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Me, too.

You have the Mauer of avatars, PS.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There is no fucking way Mauer hits .400. No way.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'd completely forgotten that Harper, Brian, was with the Cardinals during the 1985 World Series. MLB Network replayed Game 6 a few weeks ago. He got the lone RBI of the game going into the bottom of the ninth, a pinch-hit single. Then the fun began.

He had the same solid stroke, same mustache. And it came off of Liebrandt, a future Game 6 victim.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah. Once you got past a pickled Darrell Porter, the Cardinals' 1985 catchers were pretty terrible. Tom Nieto? A very young Brian Harper? Blech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.