1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nats selling 3,000 tickets to Friday's game for $1. Gates will open early for Strasburg's 2 p.m. introductory press conference on the field.

Not bad.

My season ticket plan includes Friday's game. I will not be able to attend, and no one has claimed them yet. If anyone wants them, PM me.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And apparently, according to that link, the same applies to the Royals in the AL Central in three or four years. Man, I hope they turn it around sometime.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Minor league walk rates:
    Pierre: .038
    Morgan: .077

If anything, I expect Morgan to walk a little more as the at-bats pile up. But he absolutely, positively must be a CFer.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Right, oop, and that was my point with Morgan. He was a late developer who was in High-A as late as age 25. Not saying he's not a nice piece. He obviously added some energy to Washington's clubhouse and he's a good defensive outfielder. But as far as his potential goes, there's not much upside left. He'll be a nice defensive outfielder with plus speed, a good average and no power.

He's not like Adam Jones, someone who just turned 24 and is blooming now and still has a ways to go to reach his potential. The .300 average for Morgan certainly seems sustainable, though. He's got a career .305 average in the majors and a career .298 hitter in the minors. So he's got the track record.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's a nice player, not a cornerstone. And you have to wonder for how long given that speed is his greatest asset.

6. JackReacher

Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Vicente Padilla not out of work long.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9957464/Sources:-Dodgers-getting-close-to-deal-with-Padilla

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Dodgers will regret it if they sign him. He's not effective enough for a team to have to put up with his shit.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Can't be a whole lot worse than Eric Milton, Jeff Weaver or Jason Schmidt.

10. JackReacher

Apparently, Rizzo is out as GM of the Nats.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/16705404

Terrible decision, IMO.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

ESPN had a stat this morning: Only 4 other players in MLB history had a .380 batting average and 25 homers this late into the season:

Ted Williams (1941 and 1957)

Joe DiMaggio (1939)

Lou Gehrig (1930 and 1936)

Babe Ruth (1931).

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn straight.

Sorry, Rudy J, but coaching 'roid freaks is a different kettle of fish. Look at the Rangers averages -- Michael Young is the only regular over .300. (Marlon Byrd might be close, but I don't have the list handy.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.