1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, yeah he could.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Rizzo swings a few decent trades, completes the Strasburg negotiations with a deal and this is what he gets?

Makes no sense to let him go, especially now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless the Nationals want someone from a franchise known for winning, like Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, who's been rumored for the job. Hoyer interviewed for the Bucs job in 2007.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What is long term anymore?

Players develop late sometimes. So what if there's no more upside? Morgan brings what he brings now, even if the average falls off, he'll be welcome out there for a "long" time. Long being relative. 3-4 years? I'll take it.
    As Ryan noted, he brings speed and energy and a good attitude to that club. Like Dre said, intangibles count, too. The offense is better, the defense is better. He is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole thing. Pretty nice piece.

Consider this, too: Winning clubs are winners because of the quality of their NON stars. Most teams have several really good players. The best teams have the best other players. Not everyone is going to be a fucking all-star.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It'll be Jerry Dipoto. Very baffling.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is by the time the Nationals are ready to contend -- and realistically, we're talking 2012 and beyond here -- neither Morgan nor Dunn will be big pieces of that puzzle.

7. Moderator1

Yeah, but Rizzo may not be gone. Lots of rumblings that something interesting/different/whatever is going on.

Cosmo - Morgan might be. Dunn, too, if they re-sign him. He's not 30 yet.

I'd take 2012. But the way things change in baseball? Who knows? Who had the Rays last year?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm sure Dipoto could be a good GM, but Rizzo is absolutely being screwed on this one. No doubt about it. None.

The more important question to me is....why now? Why right after be got the Strasburg deal done and a day or two before he's introducted at Nats Park?

Makes zippy sense.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who's to say it's 2012?

Braves and Twins went from worst to the World Series in one season.

Maybe next year the Nats put it all together for whatever reason.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Boy, you sure didn't hear that statement much during the last two years. But, he was also the hitting coach in 2002, when they won the Series, and in 2000, when they were also a monster offensive team, so make of that what you will.

11. Moderator1

Next year is HIGHLY unlikely, particularly with Zimmermann gone. If Strasburg and Storen are as good as advertised, they could be closer than people think. But not THAT close.
    People love to make fun of them and they've brought it upon themselves. But:
    *They have improved in two months, considerably. Mostly because of Morgan but also because the bullpen has upgraded from ridiculous suck to just plain bad. Granted, improvement was not that difficult to come by because they started so low but they HAVE done it.
    *They will not finish with the worst record in baseball and win the Harper Cup. I predicted to some friends last night that the Nats will pick fourth next year. Several teams appear to be in the tank. Nats at least appear to be trying to get better.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rays had a loaded farm system. That turnaround wasn't so stunning, in retrospect. Big difference there. Nats are getting there. Dunn's defense is so poor that I wonder if they'll want to re-sign him. We'll see. It'll be interesting to see what kind of off-season approach the Nats take. Because the farm system isn't so rich, at least on the hitting side of things, do you go the free agent route? Or do they go the Pirates/Orioles route? I'd say something in between. Strasburg will probably be ready to be a huge contributor in 2011. Do you build for that season? Lots of questions there. Lots of potential, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.