1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Amen, Moddy. I think 2011 could be THE year, but I'm more than willing to wait until 2012.

2. JackReacher

Nats farm system is gonna crank out some studs. No chance Dunn stays beyond next year, not with Marrero ready to take over 1B. They're not putting Dunn in the outfield. Hopefully.

Here's a good look at what the Nats could look like in 2011.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nats_mlb/includes/nats2011.html

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Marrero IS Dunn, trust me on that one. I've seen him play. At least Dunn hits it out a lot and he's still young. As a friend said last night, the Dunn Defense Suckage Factor is reduced with him at first.
    They definitely build for 2011. Hopefully Strasburg is ready to go then and Z-nn is back and close to what he was pre-injury. So Strasburg-Znn-Lannan are a solid top 3. Put major efforts into bullpen upgrades and hope Storen is for real.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Loved Storen's makeup, at least the one time I saw him pitch.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I have mixed feelings on Morgan/Mr. Plush.

Part of me loves the attitude, the charisma and the excitement he brings to a team. Not to mention that he's a plus defender with some wheels and contact ability. I, like others here, think Morgan has value in CF even if the average dips to .270.

But the other part sees him as a 29-year-old who has already reached his peak.

And a guy who, for all his speed, is a lousy baserunner. Those 39 steals look great on paper, but aren't nearly as sexy when you realize Morgan has been caught stealing 17 times this year.

Add the fact that he's also been picked off at least a half-dozen times -- once for the last out of a game recently -- and you can see why some Pirate fans weren't sad to see him go.

6. JackReacher

Still....I'll take his good, even if it comes with a little of the bad. Worth it to me.

7. Moderator1

His running is, uh, out there sometimes. I'll live with most of it. He can learn. Can't teach that speed.

Cosmo, I'm eager to see Storen. First guy he faced as a pro jacked one. Comments he made afterward indicated a kid who learns fast. "That was a strikeout pitch in college. Here, it goes out of the park." Didn't he strike out 15 of his last 20 before his recent promotion?

8. JackReacher

Storen's stats this year...

Hagerstown -- 26K, 0BB
    Potomac -- 11K, 2 BB
    Harrisburg -- 3K, 1BB
    Totals -- 40K, 3 BB

Silly.

9. Moderator1

Hold the phone on Rizzo out.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/08/source_says_dipoto_report_is_1.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dipoto's a cancer survivor. The Nationals would be a walk in the park.

11. Moderator1

I wrote about Dipoto on my new Web site recently:

http://www.vasportsnow.com/2009/08/13/former-vcu-pitcher-could-be-nats-next-general-manager/

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

NICE PLUG. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.