1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread Rated X -- Mature Audiences Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Johnson is out of the discussion.

Marlins, though are getting another strong outing from Sanchez and are pounding the Mets, behind a 5-for-5 by Uggla and five homers, three by Cody Ross.

They will be second in the WC race after tonight all by themselves at 2 back and will be in the odd position of rooting for the Phillies.

Lot of teams praying they don't sneak in.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The NL Cy Young still looks pretty open for somebody to grab with a strong finish.

Santana should win the AL Cy Young easily unless he implodes in his remaining starts. How can you argue with the pitching triple crown?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As Oz said, Santana's a lock for the Cy Young, and should be getting some looks for MVP.

And someone on the A's is going to get their ass dotted tomorrow for the 3-0 fastball that hit Mauer between the numbers on the back of his jersey.

You can mark it down.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Cris Carpenter will get the NL Cy Young simply because he won it last year. They've got to give it to somebody.

And I'll laugh my ass off if the Tigers don't win the AL Central but the Sox still don't make the playoffs.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, I would think that's a reason he wouldn't win it -- Carpenter got his Cy Young, time for someone else.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Right now, it's Carpenter. He leads the league in ERA, WHIP, is tied for third in BAA and tied for second in wins.

It's close, though, and could change.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Just saw the ultimate strikeout in the Indians/Royals game.

Jhonny Peralta strikes out. Runner at first steals second, but Peralta is called for interference, so a double play is the end result. And on John Buck's follow-through while trying to throw out the runner, he nailed Peralta square in the nuts.

Poor guy! That's one strikeout he'll never forget.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Matsui goes 4-for-4 with a walk, two runs and an RBI in his return to the majors. Oh and Bobby Abreu drove in six in the first inning, seven for the game and nearly hit a grand slam that was caught at the wall.
    The magic number is down to nine.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If Marlins hold their 4-0 lead for the final four innings, they trail the Padres by a single game.

By themselves.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

There's still a few weeks left, but the Fish seem destined -- low payroll, no-names like Uggla, fighting back from well under .500 -- to take this thing.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LET'S GO MARLINS!

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never thought I would see a Cleveland man post that after 1997.

Draft saved Draft deleted