1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread Rated X -- Mature Audiences Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Saw this note on Yahoo:

Likely? The Braves drafted him in 1984. He played for no other organization until he left Atlanta after the 2002 season. Whattya mean "likely"?

It's either Braves or Mets. Whoever wants him. Duh.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There. A clarification was in order.

Answer: "Because Greg Maddux convinced me I had to try to be a pitcher."

Also, I'm not so torn up over Justice being dealt. Yes, he was a good player and great in the clutch. But the economics of the game, coupled with the philosophy that you win with pitching -- a philosophy that has been validated ad nauseum in Atlanta -- made it necessary. It wasn't a trade for Kenny Lofton so much as it was a trade for greedy rat bastard traitor Tom Glavine and Maddux. We can argue all day about whether they'd have won another world series, but it's clear to me that if they'd broken up the pitching rotation at that point, they wouldn't have had nearly as many chances.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's so inaccurate it makes me want to vomit. Everyone knows the real reason why they fought: John Buck snatched the last Twinkie from the clubhouse, and Runelyvs was pissed from the start of the game.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't know why it didn't click sooner, but we could be in line for one of the great first-round playoff series ... EVAR.

Minnesota vs. New York.

Damn. Think that wouldn't be something? Though I guess Liriano would have to come back near 100% for it to be as good as it could be.

The other AL series would be Oakland-Detroit. Nah, that won't get overshadowed.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hey, I just look at it this way -- it shows they actually still care about something at 55-90, which is hard to do. And while they might have the worst record in the game, they did sweep the Bucs. ;)

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If -- and that's a big if -- the Marlins make it into the playoffs, they will be a tough out against either the Cardinals or whoever survives in the NL West. They are a tough, tough team with outstanding startiing pitching. Bullpen would probably be their downfall but they are a team to watch next season ... no matter who their manager is.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the Marlins make it to another World Series I may fucking shoot myself.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all had to bring that up? I was always torn about which memory made me more sick -- the '92 NLCS or the Steelers' loss to the Chargers in the 1994 AFC Championship game (ok it was early '95, but the '94 season). Now that the Steelers have won a championship again, it's definitely the moment when Sid slid since the Pirates seem to be a decade or two away from contention.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Unless they collapse, the Yankees will have 12 straight years in the playoffs. So if they make the playoffs in the next two years, they will match the Braves. Let's Go Yankees! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

To be fair, Oz, the Royals -- if they acquire some arms -- should be significantly better than the Pirates three years from now.

With Moore in charge, there's a plan in place. With the Nuttings and Littlefield in charge, there's bobbleheads, fireworks and little hope.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not to jinx it, but I'm home watching the Twins and A's, and Liriano looks positively filthy.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And he's coming out with no one out in the third.

Gave up a bloop single to open the inning, threw a slider in the dirt, walked off the mound and bent over at the waist.

Trainer came out and Liriano left.

Draft saved Draft deleted