1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread Rated X -- Mature Audiences Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey now, I was just referring to one game. lol

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Phillies starter Scott Mathieson with a line I doubt we'll see again in our lifetimes:

O IP, O H, 1 R, 1 ER, O BB, 1 K

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Columbo, please explain that pitching line to me. It must have been an error for the run to be uneared but why was Mathiesson taken out?

Also, who thinks Beltran milks the injury he suffered with that great catch last night? And what do the Mets do now with John Maine for the postseason? Obviously, he has been their best starter but they seem committed to Pedro, Glavine and El Duque for the first round. Where does that leave Maine?

I must also add very classy of Houston fans to cheer Beltran, who they've been booing all year, when he was helped off the field after that catch. Seriously.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A question of monumental unimportance. Are the Phillies the first team ever to have two different players compile 30-plus game hitting streaks in consecutive seasons?

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It was an earned run, not unearned. I didn't see the game, but one recap I saw said Matheson came out after experiencing pain in his arm on the first pitch to the second batter. He also was charged with a wild pitch so I am assuming with the one K but no IP, it was a strikeout/wild pitch to the first batter who reached. That runner later scored on Chipper Jones' HR. It definitely is a strange pitching line.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

but we will be calling them chokers a month from now as jim leyland sits back, lights up a cigarette and watches the White Sox and Twins playing in the postseason.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

At 7.5 out, the Angels are cooked. Oh well. I like to take a chance on an AL West team; last year at the AS break, you may recall it was the Mariners. That worked out well. Good thing I didn't make any wagers on those. But on the Reds and that bullpen, i felt safe.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not as long as it was three weeks ago...

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Torii Hunter is making some serious bank right now.

This isn't Beltran-like, but somebody's going to give him a ton of money in the offseason.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ryan Howard is going bonkers AGAIN -- 2 HR through four innings, now up to 51 for the season.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's going to get very difficult not to give it to him.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's so nice to be able to come here and feel so much better about my Blue Jays, perennial also-rans that they are. Thanks, everybody. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted