1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread Rated X -- Mature Audiences Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. The Fish can't possibly win the NL East anymore. But they're still in the thick of the wild card race.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

They are now 4 behind San Diego in the loss column and also behind the Phils and Giants and are going on a 10-game road trip to Atlanta, New York and Philly.
    The Marlins are done.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would guess San Diego wins out for the wild card spot -- pitching normally does.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

San Diego will win the NL West.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

You folks are probably right about the Marlins, and that's too bad. They're a fun club to watch. Give them a legitimate closer next season and watch out.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey, I understand it's a business. A screwed-up business rife with largess while crying about the red ink everywhere, but a business nonetheless. The impressions of my previous rant aside, I don't believe in loyalty in sports and haven't for some time. Doesn't mean I can't be pissed off when a franchise pillar doesn't practice it, though.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wang is 10-2 with a 2.76 ERA at home this season. He's 7-3, but with a 4.58 ERA on the road. Sounds like reason enough to me to make sure he pitches Game 1 or Game 2 of any series when the Yanks have home field. I think you have to account for things like this, especially with a young pitcher, which Wang still is.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

OOP, you are correct. The problem is that Torre doesn't seem to manage that way.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mussina pitches game 1. I definitely think Wang should go for Game 2, but I don't think Torre goes in that direction.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, you had every right to be pissed off -- in 2002-03. Not now, though. It's long past over.

But if you think the Franchise Pillar didn't practice any loyalty by not signing for whatever they offered him, where's the loyalty in the Braves not giving their Franchise Pillar the one extra year he sought on his contract? Wasn't like he didn't give them more than their money's worth from 1984-2002. ... And he wasn't asking for more money than they were willing to give him. He was asking for a guaranteed paycheck for that one year instead of being held at their whim for that one year. ... But those were bungled negotations from the start. Bad on both sides.

He showed no more loyalty than they showed him. And while it pains me to have to cheer for the Mets every five days, well, I understand why he made that decision. ... And I really hope he returns to Atlanta so I have no qualifications about cheering for No. 300 next summer. :)

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jeesus....

Best pitcher in baseball right now (and is it close?): Matt Cain

31 2/3 IP scoreless streak and 1 run in his past 42 innings.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The best pitcher in baseball is Johan Santana, and it is not close.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ehh. He's only unbeaten in the second half of the season since, what, 1998?

Draft saved Draft deleted