1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread Rated X -- Mature Audiences Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Mussina line is great. :D

As for Wang, he's got that killer sinker and I'd certainly start him in Game One, but I'm always wary of pitchers with ehh K/BB ratios. Sixty-five whiffs and 50 BBs in 200 IP? I'm not convinced that's a long-term recipe for success. Carlos Silva doesn't throw as hard as Wang and typically walks far fewer, but his inability to strike people out caught up to him this year.

In the NL, I hope every single day the Padres win the wild card. The sight of Mike Piazza storming out of the dugout to celebrate their series win in Game Five at Shea will make my heart swell with joy. Oh who am I kidding? Game Four in San Diego.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I see your point, but the ChiSox, Twins and Tigers have better set-up corps than the Yankees, whose set-up corps consists of Scott Proctor's spaghetti right arm, Ron Villone's spaghetti left arm and Kyle Farnsworth's guaranteed implosion (with a dash of uncanny effectiveness against southpaws courtesy of Mike Myers thrown in).

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Buck, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. And I never lost my right to be pissed at Glavine, thank you very much. I, too, understand why Glavine made the decision he did. Still doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll say this: Had he stayed in Atlanta, he'd almost certainly have 300 wins already, and the Braves this year with his 13 wins would be much closer to the top of the wild card race, if not leading it. If both sides blew it on this one, then they've both paid a price for it.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Man speaks the truth. Forget the Cy Young, Santana ought to be the AL MVP.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you follow the entire conversation, he was talking about the Yankees pen aside from Rivera, not being very good.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know, but it just seems like the closer role is such a huge advantage for the Yankees that it makes up for Zumaya against Farnsworth. Villone's arm is dead, but I think Proctor will do fine in the postseason and Bruney is suddenly dealing for the Yankees. Of course this argument might not matter in two weeks if the Tigers don't stop pissing their playoff hopes away.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

and the argument might be moot if Rivera's elbow soreness doesn't go away.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-arianoiverahrowsonla&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would take the Twins' bullpen, too. I don't trust the Yankees' with all the innings they've logged already.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Orestes Destrade (sp) on the Padres: "They pitch and catch good."

There's got to be a hobo somewhere in Bristol (OK, maybe New Britain) who can provide better analysis than this guy.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's all well and good but I'll reserve judgment on how he feels until he actually goes out there and pitches in a real game.

Everybody says they feel great throwing on the side. (Well, everyone except Carl Pavano) Eddie Guaradado said it about 10 minutes before he underwent Tommy John surgery.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There are issues with the Yankees bullpen, but is it even comparable to argue that the Tigers, Twins or A's are that much better?

The real issue is who each reliever is pitching to. Are the Twins relievers more likely to get the Yankees' hitters out than the Yankees' relievers getting the Twins' hitters out?

OutOfPlace, I agree with your assessment regarding "comfort zones" and such. I also think Torre doesn't do a great job handling the pitching staff (one of the reasons the bullpen has too many innings). But, this is how the guy manages. He's big on "veteran experience" and low on playing "the hot hand."

BYH... when talking about Wang, I agree with the walk/strikeout ratios and all that, but the guy's ability to induce a double play ball is amazing. It sucks when a guy gets on second, but he is a great number 2 or 3 pitcher.

Draft saved Draft deleted