1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Wickersham: Why Chiefs-Eagles was the greatest Super Bowl ever

Not an insider and thus wasn't able to read Wickersham's case, but is this something people outside of KC are actually thinking? It was a good game but I certainly didn't see it as an all-time classic.

wicked and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Could've been, but the holding call, regardless of its merits, turned the ending into an anticlimax. Endings are kind of important in dramas.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was really good. Philly scored the most points by a losing team. Hurts was out of his mind. But I’m going to remember this game like I remember the Steelers-Arizona Super Bowl: not well. It was a good game, but I don’t remember much of it.

Patriots overcoming a 28-3 deficit was better.
    The Philly Special was better.
    The Drive
    Tyre’s catch on his helmet to beat a perfect Patriots.

This will have the holding call. The best plays were made by the losing team.

wicked likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Couple thoughts - awfully convenient to have the shot of Goodell in the first half having a chat with Mom Kelce and Hamlin - probably thw only two relateable people in that box, I mean, wouldn't Mom Kelce and Hamlin rather be sitting with their own people? Obviously better than showing Goodell with say, Ted Cruz or Bill Gates. But I guess it did provide people who missed everything before the anthem a chance to "catch up."
    Anyone know how long the NFL's deal with Jay-Z to book the halftime show lasts? Not complaining about any of them - I just think next year in Vegas will really be a lost opportunity if it isn't something very Vegas-y. Not asking for Wayne Newton or Elvis - but definitely something beyond the typical Pop/HipHop/Rock set.

And I realize the Eagles (the band) aren't going to happen - but always thought that Arizona would have been the perfect location. (Winslow, Ariz.!)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  5. Michael_ Gee

Penn and Teller? Why should it have to be music?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I just said that the last two halftime shows were so good that we're due for some piece of trash next year, like Imagine Dragons with Maroon 5 again.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Panthers played at Broncos to open the season after Denver won SB 50.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It couldn't be long before someone under 50 came along to call this the bestest ______ ever.

maumann and playthrough like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Part of me hopes it keeps going just so the usual suspects in my timeline stay mad at another r&b or hip hop act getting on stage and being scandalized by the dancing.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Mahomes passed for 182 yards last night. That is the lowest total for a Super Bowl MVP quarterback since, wait for it, Tom Brady in Super Bowl XXXVI, when he threw for 145.
    Note: This is not to denigrate Mahomes' award at all. Just a funny coincidence. Shame they'll never give out a group MVP to an offensive line, because IMO the Chiefs' unit earned it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

George Toma is still alive - 94 - though there is now way the NFL still has him overseeing the field for the Super Bowl right? Perhaps an honorary title - but my goodness.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Funny thing about this ... there was a prop for who would end up as the leading playoff passer. You could have gotten Joe Burrow at +750. He started the day 200 yards ahead of Mahomes, and it ends up hitting. Crazy.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted