1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Someone better tell Dilfer he doesn’t know offensive football because I was told JSS wasn’t the primary on that play…

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. I don’t like the call but Mahomes is not throwing it away, no chance. He is throwing to a spot, a spot he thinks his receiver can get to.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Primary implies a secondary. He was out on a route and got thrown to. It seems plausible that if that mental calculation exists in a ref's head he might qualify. The quote was "a primary player".

OTOH, you might have talked to the WR coach.

What do I know? I didn't play. I was small, but I was slow.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Primary is a secondary?

[​IMG]

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is it your position that Mahomes went to the line with a single target in mind? Don't most QB's go through a progression looking for the guy they throw to?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER JUJU WAS THE PRIMARY, SECONDARY, TERTIARY OR FIFTH OPTION ON THE PLAY. IT'S STILL A PENALTY.

As for the "consistency" argument, let's ask James Bradberry:

Q: Was that consistent with the way it was called the previous three quarters-plus?

Bradberry: I think so. I mean, they were pretty consistent for the most part. I just can't be blatant with it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

I think—and I could be wrong with my thinking—but because it was a timing route where he expected JuJu to be at a spot, that’s where Mahomes was going. And he used the look to the right as a decoy to see if he could get safeties shifting that way. Of course it could have been a read one option, if no, go to JSS. Either way, the throw was intended to be caught.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, good Lord.

It’s a fucking message board, not nuclear weapons.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

What about the Quaternary, Pleistocene and Holocene?

da man likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just one technical point. A throw can be intended to be caught while still having a very low percentage chance of being caught, especially end zone throws.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted