1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Like, what exactly is going to develop that's going to convince everyone you're right?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

I’m not looking to convince anyone of anything. I agree it was a correct call. I disagree that it was correct to call it. I’ve said what I had to say. Some disagreed, some of those with a lot of piss and vinegar (which I don’t understand, but they do them) and I’m good. I just don’t get condemning anyone who wants to further things. What’s the harm?

4. Regan MacNeil

So you're just going to keep venting your spleen for an undetermined amount of time? Fair enough.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm thinking "venting your spleen" has a fantastic origin story along the lines of "hoisted on your own petard"...

(/rushes over to ChatGPT)

Edit:

"Venting your spleen" is an idiomatic expression that means to express anger, frustration or other negative emotions in a forceful and often uncontrolled manner.

The origin of this phrase dates back to ancient Greek and Roman medicine, where the spleen was believed to be the source of "bad blood" and melancholy. People thought that the accumulation of this "bad blood" could cause negative emotions such as anger and irritability. As a result, it was believed that releasing or "venting" the spleen could help alleviate these negative emotions.

Over time, this medical theory evolved into a figurative expression, with "venting your spleen" coming to mean the act of expressing one's negative emotions or frustrations in an uncontrolled or forceful manner. The expression has been in use in English language since at least the 17th century, and remains a common idiom today.

Second edit: Nah, it is exactly what I thought it was. Boo.

6. Brian J Walter

Um, no? I said I was good. I let a good handful of replies go without responding. Can you imagine 98% of this place doing that, your sanctimonious self included? What answer will make you happy?

7. Regan MacNeil

I wasn’t even talking to you, slick. You’re the one who replied to my post. Feel free to no longer reply. Or you can accuse me of being some more people I’m not.

8. Brian J Walter

I’m sorry. My posts you kept quoting were throwing me off.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For the record, the actual expression is "To be hoist with your own petard" meaning to have your plans to cause damage/trouble backfire on you.

/Pedant off

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Lots to unpack here. From Wiki:

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah. The origin was that someone would attach a petard to a wall or gate in order to breach it. To be hoist with your own petard was to have the thing blow up in your face as you attempted to do it.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Anyone confused as to the meaning only needs to watch 5 minutes of Wile E. Coyote.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted