1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

upload_2023-2-19_19-7-4.jpeg

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mike Florio made a good point that the holding call has helped bury the terrible field conditions that were the main point of contention for most of the game.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sometimes even I have to just let people look clueless.

4. outofplace

I stopped caring about the result the minute it ended. I just thought it was a terrible and avoidable way to end a hell of a game.

5. outofplace

That could lead to a hell of a conspiracy theory, but I'm not a big fan of those.

The piss-poor field conditions should not be forgotten. It is inexcusable to play a Super Bowl on a field that bad, and it's not as if that was a surprise.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kind of emotional that it will be more than a half a year before expired NFL threads are kept alive by the same poster refusing to let an argument go.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was thrown too hard.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read something that said the problem with the field is that it wasn't rolled out the night before, allowing it to dry out - the moisture condenses when it is inside too long. The NFL put in temporary seats blocking its path out - so that's why the field was slick - at least that's the theory.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Before the game, one of the localized stories was that a turf grass developed at Oklahoma State was going to be the playing surface.

This Washington Post story says that Bermudagrass wasn’t as lush and green for game officials, so they overseeded it with rye grass. The rye is waxy and slick, making a mess of things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/14/super-bowl-field-conditions-issues/

Oklahoma State folks aren’t talking much about the short time in the Arizona spotlight even though the type of grass they developed is pretty widely used on athletic fields.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It takes some doing to create a slick natural grass playing field in Phoenix.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Terrible playing surface. Just inexcusable.

But of course there had been many pre-game photons and toner cartridges devoted to its superduper origin story during Media Week.

As to page 82 of the Phantom Holding Call?

May I suggest we liven things up by inviting Don Lemon to moderate this thread going forward?

Draft saved Draft deleted