1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question. Connecticut is a small state with a population not much bigger than Arkansas. It's kind of a suburban no-man's land between NYC and Providence/Boston (kind of like how NJ could be viewed between Philly and NYC).

But at the same time its basketball programs (both men's and women's) have been wildly successful so there has been a national following developed. The other two were just used as excuses to expand the B1G media presence.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It has in the past, and BC vetoed it.

That would be the best fit for them, geographically. They could fight it out with BC for last in football. They’d be a great addition basketball-wise.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There was a lot of residual angst over UConn’s litigation in the mid-aughts.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

When UMass announced it was going to the MAC, there was some chatter that the MAC might take UConn for football only, with the caveat that a scheduling arrangement be made for 3-5 men's and women's basketball games annually -- including games MAC teams would host. Toledo's attendance in women's basketball is No. 3 nationally among non-P4 programs, behind only Gonzaga and New Mexico, so it wouldn't entirely be a fish out of water situation. Haven't heard anything since, but that could be an option if they want to keep basketball parked in the Big East.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A conference based around the New England state schools would certainly work better for UConn, and that matter UMass, than the present debacles those programs are.

And I struggle to keep track of the movements of teams within the Power Four so I do not even attempt to know the membership of other conferences but doesn't the Patriot League need schools that play football?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Richmond is moving from the CAA to the Patriot starting in 2025, so that will give the PL an even eight.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is why.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised this was not broken by Canzano or Wilner. But then again, they were still buying what school presidents were selling days before the conference imploded.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Taking those four still leaves an 8-team MWC, but a Pac-6 isn't viable for the long term. I give it 4-6 years before some of the escapers come slinking back home sheepishly like Jethro running away from home in Beverly Hills.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Who else? UNLV would be attractive, I'd think. They need to get to eight.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I could see Cal and Stanford tiring of the travel to ACC schools after a couple of years and wanting back in.

MileHigh and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted