1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Unlike Florida State, Cal and Stanford add nothing to the ACC except huge travel bills. How many ACC schools do you think are really going to be recruiting Northern California now?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, official.

maumann likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you’re another MWC school, you can’t be surprised, right? Or did they think they all were getting a seat at the table?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Who else would they take? Seen UNLV and Wyoming mentioned elsewhere, and maybe Air Force so they can have an academic school ala Vandy.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They need to bring in all the "state" schools - SJSU, NMSU, Utah State, Sac State, Texas State, Portland State. Then split into two divisions - Real States and Not Actual States.

maumann likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The PAC-12 is back. Now, bring back the Big East for football and the Southwest Conference.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe UNLV and Utah State?

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Never in my wildest dreams did I think California State University, Fresno would ever ascend from the lowly PCAA to the mighty Pac-Two Plus Friends in my lifetime! Go, Bulldogs.

Until I got the acceptance letter, I was stunned there actually was a Fresno State campus, with classes and dorms and everything. In high school, when my counselors mentioned Fresno State, I assumed the entire school was in a quonset hut in the middle of a vineyard, and you had to put raisins in boxes to cover tuition.

(Well, at least that's what the dorm guys told us as a freshman prank. I must have packed two crates before the real workers came back from lunch.)

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I am shocked UNLV was not originally included. Brings a somewhat brand name, basketball tradition, unlocked potential in other sports, and of course Vegas. As someone who follows the MW pretty closely, I don't think any other school really moves the needle tons unless you start looking at TV markets (SJSU), which are starting to be not a thing. The only other school I would think would have a good shot is New Mexico, another basketball tradition and a decent and big enough area. Air Force has football but nothing else and no real footprint. I am not sure what value any other remaining school would overall have.

That said, there has to be a plan to actually build this thing or it just becomes MW-plus. Who else are they targeting to make that happen? There certainly is a plan to at least get to eight to be able to be official. I wonder what it is? Maybe it is UNLV and New Mexico, they just didn't say yet. Maybe some weird thoughts on Stanford and Cal, but that just seems unrealistic.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted