1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Until there is a firm offer to pay the Pac at least two to three million more than the AAC payout, I'm not gonna sweat it too much.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Tulane is a relatively small private school that doesn't need football institutionally but has to play the game in multiple senses of the phrase because of where it is located.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Cal needs every penny it can get.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Of the 66 football games played between Stanford and San Jose State, only four have been in San Jose. The renewal of the Bill Walsh Legacy Game this year is a four-year contract, two in San Jose, two on the Farm. Cal hasn't been much better. I suspect part of the reason San Jose wasn't invited to the Pac 6 was to keep the market open for a possible return of Stanford and Cal.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why does Tulane need to play football based upon location? I have always thought of Emory as a peer school and they seem to be doing well despite not playing Division One sports.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Can't answer that as NOLA is 50th TV market. But Tulane is desperate to get out of the AAC.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I live in Texas, and UTSA isn't on the radar of anyone I know. Texas and Texas A&M dominate the state football-wise (duh!), and everyone else trails far behind. And I say this as an employee of another D1 university in the state.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

That's been true ever since the SWC. There was UT and aTm, and the rest were afterthoughts - and that was a conference where every team except Arkansas was in Texas.

That said, UTSA has grown a fanbase very quickly. The dome in San Antonio hit 30k or so in attendance pretty consistently. That's good for an AAC school.

9. Neutral Corner

10. Neutral Corner

If there's a contract that pays $12-15m, it's just a matter of when the jump happens and how many it includes. Until there's an actual media contract on the table, however, it's just rumor and hot air, the 6Pac notwithstanding.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A conference being stable is now “a problem.” This sport is too dumb to live.

12. Neutral Corner

Memphis has had itchy feet and a bad case of "The Grass is Greener" for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted