1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I get all of that on UNLV but my guess it was the conference that doesn't want Nevada and UNLV can't get out of it. And regardless of their history, even just having Vegas makes having UNLV appealing. Nevada on it's own has certainly not been awful athleticwise, but if the PAC wanted them I would guess UNLV and Nevada would have been among the original group.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

1) Don't see UTEP leaving CUSA. Part of the argument when they left the WAC was much of its alumni base was east of El Paso.

2) Love to think Hawaii would be a good football-only member for the Pac, but it's cost-prohibitive until the stadium situation gets straightened.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Memphis message board is going to melt its way to China.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Roscablo

From the sound of it the PAC offered the AAC schools but didn't really offer much in financial assistance. So the PAC probably wasn't too caught off guard by the rejection. I wonder how much the AAC schools really wanted to stay?

Regardless, the PAC has to have a plan for those last two schools, right? Gonzaga still seems likely but who knows any more.

6. Neutral Corner

7. Neutral Corner

Looks like the Pac offered $2.5m toward the move, and there was too much uncertainty for the AAC schools to jump.

8. Neutral Corner

9. Roscablo

Also, it would seem any offers from other conferences to Air Force have been football only, which is probably why it's reaffirmed its commitment to the MW.

If that's the only MW news I'd think all the other schools are still in play.

10. Roscablo

Which probably goes further to show that the Pac wasn't surprised by the rejection.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been stated before, but football needs to be divorced from other sports.

Or just go back to regional conferences. I remember growing up watching these teams and it was like a geography and history lessonm

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

With all of Memphis's baggage, rejection could be a good thing for the Pac's reboot.

Draft saved Draft deleted