1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was mad at the Big 10 for poaching the SoCal schools so that they could get a little bigger television contracts. And I was mad at the Big Eight in the 90's when they killed the SWC in the 90's. And I have only briefly visited Texas. I also don't think the Pac-7 gives a damn about the life expectancy of the MWC.

I am also mad at the Pac=7 because my grandparents met at the University of Wyoming and I have had tons of other relatives graduate from there (my grandmother was from an L.D.S. family that were early settlers so there were lots of children and a strong emphasis on education). I think Wyoming could well get the same treatment that OSU and WSU received from the old Pac-12 and I do wish that on any school.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 7:18 AM
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 12:37 PM
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they think they need the autobids. I think either the SEC or Big 10 will get four each year, the other three, on G5 conference champ and then the ACC and Big 12 two each (probably?)

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I wish Wyoming would have gotten in as well. Wife, MIL and FIL are grads, we have a summer home near Laramie and visit every year. Wyo has the resources and invests in athletics and a great fan base, but just not a big enough TV market.

OTOH, I don't think the seven MWC teams have signed anything official yet. With Wyo, SJSU, Nevada and UNM getting significantly less of a revenue cut as AFA and UNLV, ifg they were asked to join I bet they would.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They're shutting out the ACC, Big 12 and G5 and protecting themselves from the year when the # 4 team is 9-3 or 8-4 and does not deserve a berth.

The SEC and Big Ten brag about how good their teams are. Fine. If they're that good, you don't need an automatic berth to protect them.

Time for the other leagues to stop bending over and start fighting back.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t think conferences should get more than one auto-bid. But I also don’t think the top four seeds should be limited to champions only. It made more sense when there were five leagues that weren’t equal but at least in rough proximity to one another. Now there are two battleships, a couple of PT boats and a few dinghies. Time to acknowledge reality.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's the point of the season and a conference championship if 4 teams can get in?

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not can. Will.

Because they're entitled to play for the championship.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Twenty-four teams. No bowls.

Why is that so hard?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some guy in charge of the Liberty Bowl Committee won't take kindly to no longer wielding a small stick over his fiefdom.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do they still call themselves "bowl scouts"? Like when they show up in the press box at a game in Oct. in their lavender blazers the local hicks are supposed to be impressed that are being looked at for a pre-Jan. 1 bowl?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You can even start after Thanksgiving, play through December and wrap it up early January. Easy peasy.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted