1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’d say all but the very wealthiest private schools could be pooched. So USC and Notre Dame (and Stanford if they want to still go down this path). Below that? I dunno Jeem.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I, for one, appreciate the irony of using a well-known college football underdog story as the code name for a plan that would crush most underdog programs.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You folks need to relax; this thing is being spearheaded by Jimmy Haslam so it has no chance to succeed.

Twirling Time and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A lot of the high and mighty members of The B1G T18N who think they have it made, better think again.

When it comes time for the Private Equity America Top Forty SuperLeague, teams like Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana don't add much of anything to the bottom line.

Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois, don't you start feeling all fat and happy either. UCLA, maybe you shouldn't take off your coat either.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They should make this like LIV-PGA.

LIV -- the SEC/Big 10 36 team league
    PGA Tour -- 36 team league of everyone else.
    Then play a title game with the winner of each.

6. dixiehack

The one thing I don’t know is whether this proposal would involve basketball too or just football. If it is tied to bouncey hoops then Indiana, Kentucky, Duke and a few others need not fear the reaper. Otherwise …

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There will probably be a superleague in every sport that can generate substantial teevee revenues.

So, football, men's basketball ... maybe hockey, baseball, women's hoops on a more limited basis.

The other sports, probably niche streaming platforms. If you're nuts about college softball, soccer, wrestling, you'll have to sign up for a streaming package.

They'll probably keep the current league affiliation model, but the super league teams in each sport will bump up to a higher priced "platinum tier."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
  8. dixiehack

Sounds like an excellent way to mutilate the golden goose, but what do I know about economic genius? About to have my calendar clear for fall festivals if this comes to pass.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

College football can be overtaken by hedge fund/private equity bros and I'll live. While I enjoy a college football Saturday, the schools I root for have more to offer the world than a football team.
    Just leave basketball and lacrosse alone. Let the NCAA administer those championships as they have.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A complete schism is not necessarily out of the question, but it will involve massive travel for non-revenue sports that'll give the big wigs pause.

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The best solution for all this would be to separate football as its own entity with its own conferences, and then for all other sports, revert back to where everyone was in 2012. The B1G, PAC-12 and ACC at 12 schools, the Big East still in existence in (mostly) its old form, etc.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Rumors flying tonight that Memphis is #8 for the Pac, maybe as early as Friday. That would be a decent choice. Stop there, or just add one more for nine FB and 10 overall.

Draft saved Draft deleted