1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Beltran-Delgado-Wright
    ----------------------
    .271 AVG, 182 R, 55 HR, 194 RBIs, 43 SB

Utley-Howard-Rowand
    ----------------------
    .309 AVG, 216 R, 67 HR, 240 RBIs, 13 SB

I don't know how close that 3-4-5 combination is this year. Utley has missed considerable time and Beltran has as well.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd put money on him playing three more seasons. I don't think the Mets will keep him, and I hope they don't (not that he's not a good player, I just think Lastings is finally ready). But some team(s) will have room for Green.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wright struggled after the HR hitting contest last year. Instead of being a line drive hitter with power, he started swinging for the fences with an uppercut swing. Now that he's back to his normal swing, he seems to be having better at-bats against anyone not named the Atlanta Braves.

Delgado was streaky last season, and he hasn't had an extended hot streak yet in 2007. Beltran's been for shit.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, the Devil Rays...Pirates...Reds...Rangers...Orioles...

He should retire after this season.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So has Howard. Prior to the season, I figured the only NL offense that even compared to New York's was Philadelphia's. I wouldn't want to face either -- and now Atlanta's -- if I were a pitcher. This year, however, I'll give the edge to Philly, depending on what Atlanta can pile up down the stretch.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But he won't. Players like him rarely put down the glove at 35. Look at Lofton. He should have retired a couple years ago, too. Now that he's producing at a better rate, it'll probably be a while until he hangs them up.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Shawn Green should have retired two years ago.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He should have stayed in LA.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

They have Lofton's casket waiting in the back every day he steals another base. Franco is one swing from cracking a hip.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No, I think PHINJ is right. Green should have retired. He has no bat speed anymore. He can't cover any ground in the outfield. He's just a body. If and when Chavez and Gomez come back from injury, they need to start and Green and Alou need to go to the bench.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Milledge should take over in RF for Green, but under no circumstances should Alou be on the bench. His bat has to be in the lineup.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe for the duration of this year. But at some point, the Mets have to make a commitment to the outfielders, so not to toy with the young players' confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.