1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would rather have youth and speed in the lineup. Alou's bat strengthens the bench.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with that completely.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

If and when they are healthy, Chavez and Gomez will not be in the starting lineup...and neither should be.
    Chavez will never be a starter, he's the perfect 4th ourtfielder.
    Eventually, Gomez and Milledge are the corners with Beltran in center

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The Mets have desperately missed Alou's bat all season, and now you want him on the bench? He's the perfect RH hitter to balance out the lineup. I agree with spnited that it will eventually be Gomez, Beltran and Milledge, maybe as soon as next year. But for now, you have to give Alou as many ABs as possible.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Considering the power is dwindling, I agree with that statement. But once Beltran's back and you've got Milledge (who just made a great diving catch in center), Alou isn't the go-to option in the outfield any longer. He's aging, and you've got to give the young guns a chance to develop into the stars the Mets expect them to be.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

When Beltran comes back tomorrow night against the Marlins, Willie has said he will rotate three guys in the two corner spots

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The immortal Tyler Yates on the mound for the Braves.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Kind of what he did with Endy Chavez all last season.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And the Mets are starting the inning in the right fashion.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Alou is the most consistent hitter in the Mets' outfield. As long as he's healthy, he has to play. I predict that rotation of corner outfielders will turn into a platoon of Milledge and Green in RF. Occasionally they might rest Alou against a tough righty, but that's all.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Now we're startin' to roll, boys. With runners on second and third, a little flare from Castillo makes this game much more interesting.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.