1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Looks like my birthday wish for the Good Doc is coming through -- Cubs are scoring some fucking runs!

Don't use 'em all up tonight, boys.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not with the competition in the AL. Daisuke Matsuzaka, Boston, 13-8, 3.70 ERA, 152 K; Dustin Pedroia, Boston: .326, 111 hits, 24 2B; Jeremy Guthrie, Baltimore: 7-4, 3.22 ERA, 94 K; Hideki Okajima, Boston, 3-0, 0.98 ERA, 46 Ks, 4 saves, 32 hits in 55 1-3 innings.

Soria's in the chase, but that award is going through Boston as of right now.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hell, even Jock Jones wants Doc to have a happy birthday. The strap is 3-for-3 with four RBIs -- and it's the third inning.

4. Ankiel goes deep. As much as I hate the fucking Cardinals, good to see him come back this way.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ditto. I just posted the same sentiment on the Ankiel thread. As long as the Cards stay a safe distance back in the Comedy Central, I wish the kid continued success.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Is he going to be a regular in the starting lineup?

7. Who would you play instead of him?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Jeebus. Thanks, Cubs. Where the fuck was this the last six games?

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wickman has tightness in his forearm. AJC says he returned to Atlanta to have an MRI.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No one now.

From the AP: La Russa said he planned on starting Ankiel the next "two or three days" and that he'd get plenty of playing time.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Does that qualify as good or bad news for the Braves? I'm not sure.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't be so sure.

Figure Matsuzaka and Okajima will lose a lot of votes b/c they are veterans of Japan. Then figure they'll lose more votes because they'll split votes with Pedroia. And Guthrie is 28 and has been around forever...I bet there are a lot of people who don't know he's still rookie eligible.

Soria, meanwhile, is by far the youngest of the group and has the neatest back story (Rule 5 guy). If he gets 20-odd saves and a 2-ish ERA, I would not be surprised at all if he won it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.