1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Podsednik is hitting 262/328/377 with 7 SB in 131 PA and has been nagged by injuries all season.

So I guess the Cubs are slightly down on Matt Murton and Jacque Jones?

If this source is correct, the White Sox would be wise to let the Cubs have that waiver claim and just purge themselves of some salary for a guy who isn't even valuable in fantasy baseball anymore.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Even though I stated the Braves would be death marching, it will be a knock-em-out series. I think it will come down to Teixiera and Howard, who will have the bigger series, his team will win. Tonight's game with Hamels and James looks interesting and with the humidity in Philadelphia tonight, both pitchers need to get the ball down. Hamels has a history of hanging change-ups.

Oz, you know how well the Phillies play against the bottom of the AL, Devil Rays included.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

All I said is that he has a history of hanging change-ups, he's given up 24 home runs this year. I never said Hamels was bad. He's a great pitcher, but once the change-up goes up in the zone, that's where he gets in trouble. He's 2-0 against Atlanta this year, but has given up 4 home runs to them.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's easy to target the bashers such as Texeira and Howard as the difference-makers in a big series, but rarely does it ever come down to that. It just as easily could be that Andruw with a "U" explodes out of his slump and hits .562 with 5 homers and 12 RBI this weekend, yet Suckiano gives up more runs to blow what should have been another win. It's all a crapshoot, and so fun to watch.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I'm just going with who's hot right now Xan. Ever since Texeira came to Atlanta, he's been hitting rather well and he found his second-half swing. Howard is heating up and he hits the Braves pretty well. I agree with you that another player could come out of nowhere like Andruw Jones and break his slump or Wes Helms could go off in the series. Who knows. But you're right. It's all a crapshoot.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

If we start hitting (I saw "we" in fully acknowledged fanboyloser mode), we might have a chance to win the West.

Nice to hit a "balancing" part of the schedule. Strength of opponent helps explain why the Yankees caught the Mariners over the last three weeks, and also how the M's could redistance themselves in the present.

I'm pessimisstic. The bullpen has shown slight cracks from overuse the last few weeks, and the remaining sked is going to be harder to navigate than a minefield in ski boots.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I guess the Yankees aren't fucking around against Fausto tonight. Buy, boy would I like to see their savior on the hill get ponied tonight.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

On pace for a 36-36 game tonight in Philly....

Braves blow a 4-0 lead after a half inning...Chuck James regurgitates it in 2/3rds of an inning

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This game is anything but a pitcher's duel through five outs. James just let a 4-0 lead slip away, and Roger McDowell is on the mound to calm him down. This is going to be an ugly game.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hamels is getting clubbed around. Though both were caught by Werth in right, two long drives were drilled to the warning track, the second was a double off the wall for sure by Diaz -- who already homered in the first.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Mets down 2-0 in the 4th against one Daniel Barone, a pitcher making his MLB debut after compiling a sparkling 4.09 ERA in the minors. They are absolutely clueless against pitchers they haven't faced before.

Would it be plagiarism to say I hate this fucking team?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know. Why don't you make a separate thread for it.

As for the Mets: Wait until the sixth inning. They should have Barone figured out by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.