1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Damnit. I guess not.

2. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I always thought the "neighborhood" play was one of the unwritten rules of baseball. Fuck this shit.

3. Not familiar with that one, I'm guessing you mean if it's in the neighborhood of being out to end a great play - it's an out?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. The "Neighborhood" play, is used strictly on a double-play turn, where usually the shortstop/second baseman needs to be around second base to get the first out. Usually the fielder will sweep the bag, making it a moot point anyway, but I've only seen the "neighborhood" play not called a handful of times.

And the Braves didn't execute it then, and they just paid for it.

5. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I'll grant you that the play at first was the right call, but a lot of umpires will call the out at second because the fielder was in the "neighborhood" of the bag, if not outright touching it. Plus, I still think his toe could have barely grazed the corner, based on what I saw from the replay.

6. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Exactly.

7. So he was called safe at second?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think Rollins beat Escobar's foot to the bag if his toes did scrape it. And just because it's rarely not called doesn't mean the umpires have to call it. A lot of times, I imagine, it's all personal preference when it comes to making those types of judgment calls. No player should expect a generally accepted call to be made. Touch the base and the confusion should be limited.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Safe at second and first. The umpires got both calls right, from the looks of the replay.

10. Shit. I missed it.

Sweet.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate Larry Jones.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The Tigers have a few. Not sure if they're "hotshots" though. There's also "King Felix" on the M's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.