1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Then I'm sure his broad appeal will carry him to the GOP nomination. Donald Trump should be concerned.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's why he's polling where he is, which isn't bad, and is much higher than the experts would have predicted.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, YF, the mega-church/best-seller bit is often facilitated by the church. The church buys a shitpile of the books then "gives" them to new/prospective members.

Alma likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

OK. I'll admit to not being a mega-church expert. But, do those sales get counted in the best seller lists, especially the Times?

And, I think this is different than what we used to see where a politician would write a book, and the Teamsters would buy thousands of copies to give to their members. That was purely a way for the union to give the politician money. It wasn't like the members had sone great desire to own/read the book.

If a Church is giving away a book as an incentive/gift to new or prospective members, they're going to pick a book that has some appeal to that audience. It's part of a marketing campaign. It's like a "gift with purchase". You pick something that people will want.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah, it's pretty much the Teamsters play. The author/pastor may make some money, but it's mostly notoriety that's in play.

Not sure how sure a play it is now, though. The Times is getting picky about who it'll let run wild with its prestige.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For the record, I'd barely heard of either Lena Dunham nor Ben Carson before the last year or two. I'd say it has to do more with individual interests than any sort of bias. I'm sure there are people who've never heard of John Cena either.

It reminds me of the old Peanuts cartoon, where Lucy tells Schroeder that she doesn't think Beethoven was famous because he never had a baseball card made for him. Everyone has their own interests, and someone who may be famous in some circles may be unknown in others.

7. YankeeFan

Stop undermining me!!

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sports is a big one for this. We all think that even the most fringe MLB or NBA All-Star is a megawatt celebrity that everyone's heard of. But the most cringe-worthy live TV I've ever seen is when a local team advances in the playoffs and the local TV stations start doing man-on-the-street interviews with fans. I remember before one of the Blackhawks-Ducks games last year, a fan decked head to toe in Blackhawks gear at the United Center didn't know who Corey Crawford was. The other day, the football coach from the public high school closest to Wrigley Field didn't know whose No. 14 jersey is retired by the Cubs.

Slate is now writing Patrick Kane articles. How many non-NHL fans or non-Chicago or Buffalo residents knew who the hell he was before he was accused of rape? Not many, I bet.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how people can be totally oblivious to people who become big names in pop culture (and I include politics). I understand people might not be interested in certain things, but it takes some effort to ignore other things entirely. That so many people continue to o exist in that bubble in an era of free-flowing information fascinates me.

12. Dick Whitman

I think it's relatively easy, especially once you have kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.