1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Given where we are in the campaign, that's probably Trump or Jeb or Rubio.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I agree with DW, YF AND Rush (assuming they aren't all the same person)? My first take on this was exactly that. He was led to believe (or thought he was led to believe) that he could get in if he applied. He didn't want to take the military track so he did not apply. Not much to see here. Or as Webster said ...

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Quite the kerfuffle, indeed. Sigh.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More bullshit, from the WSJ of all sources: SuperCarson says as a HS Junior, he shielded cowering whites from raging rioting young black thugs on a wilding spree following the murder of MLK. Funny thing is, he can't remember any of their names, and nobody else remembers it happening.

Maybe he moved at super-speed undetectable by the human eye.

Ben Carson’s Past Faces Deeper Questions

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That $10 bill/"most honest student" story is amazing. Presumably Carson was too modest to include the part where he told the professor, "God was busy defending our brave men and women in uniform, so he sent me."

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder when the self-awareness kicks back in?

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Doesn't there need to be something formal about even an offer of a scholarship (or acceptance)? I think that's my problem with the details of this story.

Otherwise, a verbal offer is just a verbal offer, which means nothing, really -- much like when an athlete makes a verbal commitment to a school. It means nothing unless and until they sign a letter of intent.

And, just from an impressions standpoint, hearing Carson's combativeness, argumentativeness and total blame of the media for looking into this, or anything else regarding his background, does not help him. It's so at odds with the seemingly thoughtful, soft-spoken persona he presents in debates, that it's eye-opening, and not in a good way.

Ditto his evasiveness regarding the identities of the victims of his alleged youthful violence, and his belittling of the media trying to find them.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd guess this is bullshit, too.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Carson make up a fairy tale about himself as the heroic young black hero in his spiffy ROTC uniform during the hippie-freakiest days of the Sixties, single handedly defending the defenseless white teens against the raging mob of rioting black punks?

Nah. I'm sure it all really happened just like that.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Whatever you think of Carson, the media's performance yesterday was an absolute embarrassment. Politico misleadingly writes, in a screeching headline, that Carson admitted that he "fabricated" the offer. But if you too two minutes to read the story, that's not what happened. They clarified. Within minutes, every news outlet you can name was repeating the Politico "fabrication" headline. Slate. Mother Jones. (I think their Tweet was, "Holy shit!") Fox News. Almost everyone. As I told anyone who would listen - and not many people would - the headline and story were inaccurate. By nightfall, everyone was walking it back.

Shameful.

murphyc and SpeedTchr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.